They're Magically Delicious!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from spiritwoodturner

S

spiritwoodturner

I finished this a few days ago, but have been so busy in my shop I couldn't get a pic until today. Yep, they're Lucky Charms, and they have the new Magical Shamrocks, so it's good for St. Patty's Day. Finished like a charm, a little super glue here and there and it's like glass.

I'm having so much fun with this casting gig, I've almost forgot what wood's for. I'll remember when I get tha last of my 4 to 5 hundred blanks stabilized in my vacuum pot. About 50 are in there right now, but I have a ways to go. I pot is full 24/7 with blanks, Minwax and suction. The thing about casting is, if I see something somewhere, when I'm not looking for it, I think "That'll work in plastic!". We were in Sunflower market the other day, and they had all this dried stuff-beans, nuts, like that. They had dried bananas, and I thought, "With a yellow background, that could be really cool". Haven't done it yet, but I will. This is a bona-fide, freakin' clinical, addiction. If I don't find a way out I may be in a clinic soon.

Comments and critiques, please!

Dale

Attachments

• iap6.jpg
    iap6.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 292
  • iap7.jpg
    iap7.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 205
  • iap8.jpg
    iap8.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 173
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

Gary, I'm not just hooked. It's so deep I can't throw it. I'll have to wait 'til it rusts out, if I live so long.

Just keep swimmin', I guess. And fast.

Thanks,
Dale

angelofdeath

Very creative...great job on the casting....glad to hear that you are hooked on it. Great things come from those who try to broaden the scope. Keep the thoughts and ideas flowing. Nice finish on the pen as well. Thanks for sharing

JohnU

looks great! i can relate to your "always looking to cast something new" process. I have a shelf of things Ive grabbed just waiting to become a pen. Good Luck and Great Job!

jttheclockman

Very nicely done.

I have a question for all those that choose to use food by products as a source for enhancement. Does the product ever break down over time??? Or is it so encapsulated no air will get in to help break it down??? What about sun or heat?? Just wondering out loud.

S

spiritwoodturner

Very cool..... do you lie awake nights thinking of things to cast? If so it may be time for some professional help.

Oh, I'm WAYYY past that. I'm nearly at a Class 5 dementia...I check my kids' toys out for pieces I can use, I check THEIR friends' toys out. Nothing is safe around me.

John, no way to know yet what would break down and how. One thing I rule out is anything with moisture-dried fruits, stuff like that. But dried bananas will take CA, and once it's taken CA, it's not food anymore, it's plastic, so I would think it would last nearly forever. Dried flowers, dried beans, dried insects, any kind of pasta, I even found some faux granite for a new idea. That's good, because after trying black sand and destroying one of my Proxxon table saw blades, I decided concrete doesn't make good pens.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

Dale

Top Bottom