Teak Pen Set for the Royal Star Sportfishing Boat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

I have fished on this boat for 15 years and decided I should cross-pollinate two of my hobbies: sportfishing and pen making. The boat is a 90+ foot long range vessel that a group of fishermen friends called the "Barking Spiders" call home each year for 8 or more days. A typical trip leaves on Saturday and comes back to land the following Sunday; the boat is our home with 25 fishermen and seven crew without touching land again for 8 days. The captains: Randy Toussaint, Tim Ekstrom and Brian Sims and the business manager Tracy Toussaint always deliver a first class trip with usually more fish than we choose to keep. The boat features a great crew and five star restaurant meals along with great fishing almost every day. The boat looks like this:

royalstar_zpsd8cd82b6.jpg

It brings back fish like this (they are probably over 200# each):

tails_zpsdf7972e6.jpg

One of the THREE 4-6 ton fish holds that keep the fish at sashimi grade quality

IMG_0510.jpg

A typical lunch 500 miles from home of seared ahi tuna and noodles looks like this: (They bake fresh bread every day!)

IMG_0506.jpg

I asked for a piece of boat rail (shown holding up the fish a couple of photos above) and received a very tired piece of teak wood that had seen better days.

IMG_0070_zpse37f39d3.jpg

I cut some pen blanks and ended up with a dull green/gray wood that looked nothing like the beautiful teak you see in all of the staterooms, bathrooms and dining area.

IMG_0074_zpsc255d5e8.jpg

I used some advice from this forum, applied some stain to bring the wood back to life and produced three Designers and one Trimline for the people that make each year great.

RoyalStarSeta_zps437fb1ec.jpg

Here is a very average 60# yellowfin tuna caught in 2011 on the Royal Star.

DSC00221.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom T

Very nice pens from some ugly wood. Great look and fit and finish. I will have to try the stain. Very nice fish also.

mmayo

I do not know why it took me time and this forum to stain wood. I guess all other woods looked great as is. Fun to learn.

Great story and pens. Thanks for posting them and the story. I would love to see one made from this wood where you use Walnut or Boiled Linseed Oil to pop that grain back out just for comparison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom