Taj, take two! (small)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ed4copies

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The Taj Mahal really exists. But there was a plan to build a "black Taj" as well ---- never materialized.

After the cost of the Taj Mahal nearly bankrupt the public coffers, the people rebelled and the black Taj was never started. That doesn't mean we can't make pens as a "tribute" to the idea.

So, here is the "Black Taj", to join the small Taj we have shown before.
DAWN (PR_Princess) and Ed

Attachments

• Tajpairnet.jpg
    Tajpairnet.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 527
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This has evolved.

The original "small Taj" was laser cut (by Ken) then hand-painted (by Dawn). When I finished them, I put a CA coating on to level the pen. I was not happy putting CA on a resin (YES, lots of people do it, doesn't mean I have to LIKE it).

So, we now do it the harder way. The pieces are laser cut a little deeper and Dawn fills with crushed gemstones (on the white) and crushed metals (on the black). I then turn off the "overfill" and she fills again. We keep this up until it is smooth and the pen is then buffed. There is NO top coat, which is MY preference for resin pens. It is merely buffed to a high shine.

Several nights labor in each of these. BUT, fun. And a great sense of achievement when it is finally complete.

Again, the design is Dawn's original artwork. Top half of pen is a quote from the Koran, which actually appears in the Taj Mahal. Bottom half is similar to patterns in the Taj.

When marketed, there is a box and informational brochure that goes along with the pen.

OKLAHOMAN

Even better than #1

Don't you just love it when you have that one customer that you can pull something like this out and draw a crowd around your booth telling the story, the brochure is a nice touch.

Again, the design is Dawn's original artwork. Top half of pen is a quote from the Koran, which actually appears in the Taj Mahal. Bottom half is similar to patterns in the Taj.[/quote]

When marketed, there is a box and informational brochure that goes along with the pen.[/quote]

mick

After seeing those I just threw the half dozen "merely" segmented blanks I'd been working on all day in the trash :frown: Nope, no sir can't compare to the work of art shown here. Fantastic job you guys!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Drive for show, putt for dough!!

After seeing those I just threw the half dozen "merely" segmented blanks I'd been working on all day in the trash :frown: Nope, no sir can't compare to the work of art shown here. Fantastic job you guys!

Mike,

Remember, I sell LOTS of pens. These are just "showin off". My "bread and butter" pens still pay for the booth, if we had to wait for these to sell......
Let's just say, DISPLAY ALL your pens, keep a couple to show you CAN do it. IF they sell, it's a bonus.

thewishman

Very nice! Loved the original pen, these are even better. Congrats to both of you! The crushed stone and metal make them classier (enough to move the decimal place???)

mickr

Told ya, Dawn, that people needed to see these again at this site..they are superb and deserve the showing..the response of IAP members is justified for the job..SUPERB

PR_Princess

1_BlackTaj.JPG

Thanks for your kind words everyone!

Mick, yes you were right.:biggrin:

Dean, I will if I remember!:rolleyes: But there are some other things that I would like to bring up to the group to get their opinions on..

But I did take a quick snap of the Black Taj this morning. Sorry, I am still trying to learn how to take a photo :mad:, but hopefully this will be enough show the metals (copper, brass, ali, and bronze) a little better...They do add just a little bit of sparkle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom