Streamlines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxwell_smart007

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I just made these...I like the Streamline kit, but it's a bit more expensive, so I made some centrebands out of other woods for a few of them...

The first is Curly Jarrah - it's VERY curly, but I had trouble photographing it...

Next is a Hickory blanks with a padauk centreband...

Followed by Curly maple with one of Doug's elm blanks as a centreband...

Finally a bloodwood with box elder burl centreband...

The pics are a bit better, I think...let me know if these pics are better if you read this, Mack!

Andrew

Attachments

• DSCF4260.jpg
    DSCF4260.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCF4255.JPG
    DSCF4255.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF4251.JPG
    DSCF4251.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCF4257.JPG
    DSCF4257.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Andrew; Yes the pics are somewhat better, maybe a little out of focus.

Try this, set your camera at the highest f stop # available. That will be the smallest lens opening that you have. That will make your focus much clearer. The problem you will have then with a small lense opening is requiring more light or a longer exposure time.

If you are hand holding the camera, this becomes problematic. A tripod would make an excellent Christmas present.

Regarding the pens, and my comment from the other day with respect to the curves: I do like the Streamline kit. If you are using wood centre bands, how about a smooth transition from the top of the pen to the writing end. There is nothing that says your wood centre band has to be the same dia. as the metal one you discarded. The result---no curves.:)

I've attached a pic of some cheap slimlines that I did in Corian with contrasting Corian centre bands. This may illustrate better what I am getting at.

Pens, 5 Slim Lines in Corian (Small).jpg

You may feel I am going on too much about those curves, and still want to retain them, that's OK with me as well. You know your customers much better than I do.

Skye

I like the color combinations too, but I'd suggest rounding the mating edges a little more if you're going to try to keep those centerbands you've turned. All mating edges curving into each other may look more intentional than a sharp edge hitting a rounded edge.

its_virgil

If you are replacing the center bands on streamlines you're wasting money. Why not just purchase regular slimline kits, make the pen body fatter, and replace those centerbands. The kits are the same except for the CB and clip. And, the fancy clip on some slimline kits are much nicer than those black line clips. Anyway, nice mods on the slimlines. I really think that slimlines were invented for us to modify and engage our creative bents.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

PaulDoug

Great job. Save those CBs for the back to back cartridge pens you will make. I hate to make a pen anymore and use the original CB and finial.

The second one from the left is really a beaitiful piece of wood.

Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom