Spalted Oak Jr. Gent (thanks Dario!!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan

Working of photo stuff got the tri-pod, tent, new camera (to me:D). This photo seemed to not show the gloss of finish. Maybe over defused[?] I will keep at it till I can make it repeatable. Oh yay and the pen is my second Jr. Gent and its spalted Oak. Comment welcome.

Nolan

2006691146_DSCN1842.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Nolan,
That is a great piece of wood! Very nice pen. May I actually make a constructive comment?......I can? Thanks.....The pen appears to be a little on the puffy side.[;)]
Please take the comment as constructive!

alamocdc

Beautiful chunk of wood indeed, Nolan. I'm not typically a B2B turner, but I usually don't care too much for the waspy looking pens either. However, the Gents and Statemans can look good with a "slight" bulge. I think the puffiness Ron is talking about is mainly due to the more pronounced dips at the CB of the cap, the the finial end of the main barrel. Having said that, the fit looks good and I'm sure the finish is fine. Nice pen!

Nolan

Ron and Billy,
Thanks for your input.
Ron do you feel that it takes off too sharp on the shape (as Billy sugested) or just sould be B2B? I thought I toned it down compared to my last Cigar (mazanita/abalone). They just dont seem to sell for me B2B. Thanks again for your input only going on my 6th month with owning a lathe and I cant get enough[:p]

gerryr

I would say you did a fine job with the fit. The first 3-4 Jr. Gents I did were REALLY bulgy. Every one of them has since been cut down to a more reasonable bulge. Depending on who is using it, it may not matter to them. It's a great piece of wood, so why not show as much of it as you want. As far as the photo goes, I would say the light is not diffused enough. You have a couple of seriously washed out areas. The lights I have are diffused through a double thickness of white bedsheet and the finish is still highly reflective. Other than those two washed out areas, the photo looks very good.

Jerryconn

That is a great looking pen!
I am still learning what shapes look good with the different kits as well but hey, as long as the person that's buying them likes them ...[;)]

Ryan

I don't think it is too puffy. As I look at it I think it is just the picture that makes it look puffy. I think it looks great.

Ryan

Nolan

Ryan,
Thank you for the input I actually thought before I put it together that it was gonna be too straight and not curved enough. I guess as I do more of this style and get good feedback from the members I will settle into a "feel" for theses.

Nolan

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Nolan,
The pen appears to be a little on the puffy side.[;)]

No Way dude! That is one NICE pen! I have some very highly spalted red oak that I cut into blanks a couple of weeks ago. I think I'm going to DNA dry it and see what I can come up with. VERY NICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom