Spalted Alder Panache

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KDM

KDM

Wanted to try this kit. Fancied a beeswax finish on a pale wood.

1_20110622SpalterdAlderPanache01.JPG
1_20110622SpalterdAlderPanache02.JPG

Yep. That's an overcut on the lid. Duh. So I reworked it.

1_20110625PanacheRework02.JPG
1_20110625PanacheRework01.JPG

Yep. That's a severely mis-shapen undercut on the lid. I can take more wood off, but I can't put it back on.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

booney0717

I've seen that kit before but i dont remember where. I like the blank and the more i look at it the more the kit is realy growing on me. Think i might have to find it and try it.

1080Wayne

Very nice piece of alder . Take the cap apart , take off a bit more wood , cast a layer of PR over top , re-turn (a bit more carefully) , remove beeswax from pen body , cover everything with CA , sand until smooth then back down to 400 grit lengthwise , and none of us will know that you took a circuitous route to your intended destination .

Sataro

A very nice looking pen. Never tried one of these kits. After looking at it, I may have to try one out.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
One of the nice things about this kit that I've discovered vicariously is that if a person has problems with grip strength in writing hand, the weight of the wider ends allows enough extra weight to keep the nib in contact with the paper without needing firmer grip.

Also, the CSUSA kit rollerball end can be replaced with the fountain pen nib end from Jr Gent.

I personally love your choice of the beeswax on this Alder wood.

SDB777

Looks like the beeswax gave that grain a helping hand....well thought of on that lighter colored timber. Do you have a link for that kit?

Scott B

Top Bottom