Slimline kit with two .308 Win cases

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rduncan

Status
Not open for further replies.

rduncan

Sorry for the quality (of the image also) but it's scanned.

I used a WC slimline kit and two .308 Winchester cases. Drilled a 7mm hole through the primer and glued in the tubes. I decided it needed a center band and had been messing with tagua nuts and thought it might look OK. I should have embellished the center band but I hate to say it but the whole assembly took something on the order of 10 minutes (I know....it looks it). [8)]

I think next time I'll try a Magnum case and turn the top using wood or other material. Probably make the top using a euro kit or something more substantial.

So if you want to "play" with rifle cases this might be a way to start.

200571415586_pen1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

An interesting idea with two cartridges like that. I'm not sure you even need a center band. I'm waiting for someone with machinist tools to drill a bullet for the tip instead of a standard pen tip.

Docsmith45

Rifleman. I've drilled out a .223 caliber bullet for a tip. I've never tried a 30 caliber cause I don't shoot that caliber. I started with a 51 grain hollow point match bullet and took my time. It does not drill fast. I did have to relieve the tail of the bullet for the refill. I think I posted a photo on this board a while back. I'd like to try a 30 caliber sometime. I'll have to find someone who shoots 30 caliber and try it.

Checked

I keep seeing qustions about getting brass.
I shoot 30-06 and have quite a bit of brass but found that new brass works much better.
You can buy new brass for less then .30 cents a piece.
I bought 50 for $14.50 for 30-06.
The other brass should be close.
Rex

Fangar

Originally posted by Checked
<br />I keep seeing qustions about getting brass.
I shoot 30-06 and have quite a bit of brass but found <b>that new brass works much better.</b>
You can buy new brass for less then .30 cents a piece.
I bought 50 for $14.50 for 30-06.
The other brass should be close.
Rex

Actually, I found it to be just the opposite. anything 30 caliber is real close at the neck (300 win mag, .308, etc). When fired, the neck expands slightly, and the outer diameter matches flush to the outer diameter of the slimline kit. I have tried some brand new casings and found them to be a little more to work with.

Cheers,

Fangar

rduncan

Originally posted by Bev Polmanteer
<br />That is too cool! Great job[:D] If someone is willing to part with a couple of these cartridges and some directions I'd like to try one of them.[8D]

If you want the .308 case I used I'll be glad to throw a few into the mail for you. The bag of 50 will last me well into my next life. [:)] Some folks are using other cartridges however.

Rick

rduncan

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />What is everyone using to glue the brasstube in with? I was thinking I might try soldering...

I drilled the 7mm hole throught eh priner end and that part of the case is pretty thick. I used medium (or thick) CA. I also drizzled a litle into the next end but there is some space around that before assembly. I was goung to shim the next end but for a test piece it's holding just fine so far.

I also thought about solder but again, just testing the waters.

Rick

Checked

What I have been doing for the neck end is to drill and glue a small maple blank about 1 inch on the tube and turn it down to the neck i.d. then CA it as it is inserted.
Has held up well and centers the tube nicely.
Fangar- it must be my rifle but I had a very small swelling at the neck end and was causing some problems with polishing, that is where the new cartridges were working better for me.

Maybe we need a cartridge swap as I do have plenty of 30-06 and would like some 300 WSM.
Rex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom