Showing Off My Pens....And Storing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from reddwil

reddwil

After looking into building or buying something to show off and display my pens without going broke. I put this together A couple weeks back for my personal collection. Picked the tool box up at HF on clearance. Modified it with display inserts. Holds 159 pens. Showed it off at our chapter meeting last weekend, seemed to be a big hit. And the best part, I only have about $75 in it.

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 630
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

islandturner

This is really a cool idea. From locked up and stored, you go to instant display cabinet. I wonder if you could put thin plexi-glass panels over the drawers when they're open, to keep fingers out of there, when you're not watching?
Thanks for posting...
Steve

Woodlvr

That is a fantastic idea. Looks great. When I worked at Woodcraft they sold one for ALOT of money and the floor display warped before it could be sold. That one looks great. Maybe it will increase your sales.

reddwil

Thats it Scott. When I went to buy it was the only one they had and was on clearance because it was missing the keys. I talked them down to $30. I bought the trays from Gopens.com and cut them to size to fit the drawers. On the two large drawer you have to cut the trays into 3 pieces due to the size of the trays. I used the plastic corner guards you use on dry wall to divided the sections. I got them at Home Depot for $1.99, there in the paint section. The only thing I may redo is making my own trays for the smaller drawers. The pre made trays are perfect for smaller diameter pens, but for larger capped type pens, it gets a little cramped. As far as the quality, its actually pretty good for being made in China and for the price. I'm actually considering buying another one to keep some of my rare straight razors in.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
A great idea! I saw a sale ad from HF with them in it a couple of weeks or so ago. I will watch closer from now on! Thanks for sharing that!

RMckin5324

:) I just pick one up today and its really great. It's put together well and looks really good. Thanks for the idea, I was trying to find something to add to my display.

IPD_Mr

Being from HF, how is the build quality? Looks really nice.

Finding one that isn't beat to heck in the store is the first hurdle. Craftsmanship is non-existant, but for HF it isn't the worse. We looked into doing these and could not get one case out of five at the store that was worth more than firewood. When we found one that the wood was OK on the fake felt was grued on wrinkled. Solution? We picked up an old machinist's chest. I still have to refinish it as it came in just before Christmas. Really neat early chest without the drop front.

RMckin5324

I love this idea, I bought one last week and and am getting ready to outfit it. It's not the best quality, but for the money its a great buy.

Top Bottom