Shiny Cigars!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ryvnd2001

ryvnd2001

Here is a couple from the weekend. The first is Spalted Gmelia/Gmelina and the second is an all time favorite Desert Ironwood. Thanks for the comments and critiques.

Ryan

Attachments

• GmeliaCigar1.jpg
    GmeliaCigar1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 297
  • GmeliaCigar2.jpg
    GmeliaCigar2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 208
  • DICigar1.jpg
    DICigar1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 268
  • DICigar2.jpg
    DICigar2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

trevorh

Nice finish

Nice pens..The second one looks great with the Black Ti components. The finish looks superior. I find it difficult to achieve a comprable finish but it sure is sure satisfing when it is achieved. Good work!

RogerH

Really nice work. I just love desert ironwood too. Great color and great grain patterns. Congrats on two beautiful pens.

Now those are two fine pens! Excellent finish. I, too, like the ironwood. Never done that. How is it to turn? I remember doing gmelia (once). Seems to me it was rather soft, punky almost.

Last edited:

ryvnd2001

Desert ironwood is very dense and hard but a wood chuck makes it turn quickly. There tends to be a bit more voids in DI. Nothing a little shaving filler can't solve. It cracks pretty easy if you put a lot of pressure on it when assembling so make sure you clean out the tube real well and maybe throw a little wax on the connections. Gmelia is super light and punky. Takes a little more time than most but taking your time pays dividends. Good luck and thanks to all for the kind words.

Ryan

Now those are two fine pens! Excellent finish. I, too, like the ironwood. Never done that. How is it to turn? I remember doing gmelia (once). Seems to me it was rather soft, punky almost.

BSea

Wow, very nice. I definitely think you've got the CA finish perfected. I really like the 2 tone look of the gmeli, and who doesn't like Desert Ironwood.

ryvnd2001

Super shiny Ryan! Is it just MM and polish or are you buffing at all? The fit it spot on btw! I really like the Gmelia

Thanks Jonathon. Pretty simple process for me. Once sanded I apply 3 coats of thin CA then follow it up with 6-8 coats of medium. Lately I have skipped a wet sand using 800 and went straight to 1000. Obviously I spend a little more time with the 1000 grit now. I also changed from using "one step" from PSI to using both Novus 3 then Novus 2. Either method has given me the same results. Lastly, I dress it using a little ren wax. I have only used "hot stuff" CA and always use the same brand aerosal accelerator. Lastly, basic paper towel for application.

Simple seems to always be better. I know there are a lot of ways to do it but I am fairly happy with the results I get.

Top Bottom