Shape a la de Baron...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YoYoSpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYoSpin

Woodscavenger has inspired me…so I’m trying some new shapes for the Baron kit. From left to right: Steelwood, stabilized and dyed curly Poplar, Redheart, Yellowheart, Yellowheart (extreme), Pink Ivory and Steelwood.
pen120b.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

swm6500

Ed, those are great looking pens. Your pens have inspired several of my cigar and slimline pens. Have not done this type yet, so you are safe from me for now.

woodpens

Nice job, Ed. Your turning skills are so far beyond mine, it isn't even funny! Your selection of wood is excellent too. That Redheart looks different than most that I have turned. All of these pens are very nice.

woodscavenger

Ed, thanks for the compliments. I knew it wouldn't take you long to throw something up on the board. I really like the shapes. A couple of questions.
1) How does the extreme yellowheart one feel in the hand? It looks great.
2) Have you tried putting the lip on the lower barrel near the nib instead of the tail? The nice thing about the baron is you can obviously easily unscrew one end and switch them. It may just be how I hold a pen but on some of them the lip seems to give me a better grip and make writing more comfortable. BUT I am one of those lefties so it may not matter for most people.
3) How do you clean up the detail in your beads? Do you do such stellar work with sharp tools that they require no sanding?

Tom McMillan

Great looking pens Ed!!! The redheart looks different from what I've seen too---I'm thinking the steelwoods on the ends is black steelwood? All look absolutely great!!!

YoYoSpin

Shane, here's some answers...

1) This extreme design has a pretty good hand-hold. I like it.
2) I thought about putting a lip on the lower barrel near the nib, but was concerned that it might break or wear down as the pen is used. On the other hand, I could see that it would add some holding leverage...I'll give it a try.
3) I'm using a skew to cut the beads, so the finish is pretty good. But I still have to sand from 220 grit and up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom