Segmented Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cmorkat

cmorkat

Got Bored and decided to play around with segmenting. I've been watching this forum and have found alot of useful info and have seen some amazing pens. I wanted to say thanks to everyone for that. I do know I suck at taking pictures and was thinking about getting a good set up but decided to buy more tools instead. lol

Here is a picture of it on the lathe and a finished one. It is some oak and bubinga.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 202
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 244
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Good job, but I must warn you: It only get worse from here on out. It will start out with having to add more species of wood, then you'll have to make the inidvidual pieces smaller, then you end make the pattern more complex and finally you end up with no finger prints (because you've glued them to blanks so many times).

paintspill

you can set up a photo box for next to nothing, its a good place too start. would really help cause lord knows you have the pen making skills. might as well show it off. i set up my light box for under $20.

Attachments

• 100_2211 (640x480).jpg
    100_2211 (640x480).jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 142

cmorkat

Yeah i already have ideas running through my head and they involve smaller pieces and more species the only bad thing is that i do not have a band saw i use a sliding compound miter so smaller slices will be fun. Hopfully this weekend i will have another one completed. thanks for the good words. Here is 2 pictures of the very first segment i tried. The pictures are on the lathe because I never got a picture of the finishe product. My friend was watching me make this one and as soon as it was finished he bought it and put it in his pocket because there was two other people that wanted to buy it as well. I guess thats what happens when you have people hanging out in the shop drinking beer.

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 127
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 127

firewhatfire

How did you get that Jet to balance on end while turning something. I wanna see that jig. Looking good, my first attempt at 360 herringbone looked like your top one.

Phil

Top Bottom