Segmented Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodgraver

woodgraver

I wanted to see if I could use the laser engraver to segment acrylic, so I picked Syracuse's logo in blue and organge from PSI. I drilled them out, turned them round, then cut out an S from the orange blank. I then offset my image by .007 to account for the material the laser would remove and ran the blue blank through with a slightly larger S. It fit like a glove. Immediately after cutting the plastic is very mallable, but once it cools down it is hard and brittle. So my S was a little out of shape, but a quick pass (and I mean quick) with a flame and it was flexible enough to be pressed into the pocket. I'll be giving this as a gift to a co-worker who lives in the DC area next week while we have a meeting in sunny San Diego. I normally can't keep a secret and just post everything I make on Facebook...but this time I'm going to surprise him!.

Attachments

• Syracuse.jpg
    Syracuse.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 390

seriph

This is really something!

But a question if I may: How do I stop my brain from 'boiling' with the million ideas that appear after every post I read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could possibly mix materials doing this - A metal letter for instance ... or perhaps even stone

BTW That orange is yummy

Top Bottom