Second Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hazmat74

hazmat74

First, apologize for the size of the image. Unsure how to make them thumbnailed and clickable yet.

This is a Gatsby with 24k gold plating using a burgundy Lucite blank for the barrel.

Mostly I'm pretty happy with this effort. The Lucite is pretty nice to work with, though I still need some practice with my Skew Skillz. I feel this barrel could be a bit more streamlined, though it doesn't seem to look clunky to me. I'm still dealing with a smidgen of off-center issues, though it doesn't show up obviously due to the fittings on this pen standing proud of the barrel by design. I still need to work on this, though I can't seem to get my tailstock properly aligned while trying to keep proper tension on the mandrel with the mandrel saver.

The finish is simply sanded up to 800, then MM wet sanding up to 12,000 followed by a whirl each on a tripoli and white diamond buff. Any comments/criticisms welcome!

1_20130911_075613-1_1_.jpg

OZturner

Great combination.
The Blank and the Gatsby combine beautifully.
It looks as if your camera flash has caused some distortion to the appearance in particular near the reflected flash zone.
A very classy pen, well done.

hazmat74

Thanks. Yeah, I had to use the flash in my office. No way to put better light on it. I'm going to use my girlfriend's "real" camera and get some better shots of this one and my first, just as soon as I make myself a little photography tent.

Top Bottom