Scrimshaw Ivory Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GoodTurns

GoodTurns

Last year, at one of my shows, I was introduced to an incredibly talented scrimshander. Even more surprising than her work is the fact that we live 15 minutes from each other! I had seen several very nice examples of scrimshawed pens, all made by folks outside of the US, where I cannot send natural ivory materials. We traded ideas and worked out some details and came up with these three as the first batch.

You can see more of Jane's work at - Home. Her work is even more amazing in person!

All elephant ivory is certified antique ivory, purchased from museum stocks. Mammoth ivory is not subject to restrictions.

First up, Elephant on Elephant.

Second is a 17th century Dutch Whaler on a Mammoth Ivory panel inset in Irish Bog Oak, on a Jr Emperor.

Third is my prize (and if it never sells, I'm OK with that!), Chinese Dragon on Mammoth, modified Statesman with custom finials, top scrimshawed with the Chinese character for "Dragon".

My ace salesman (and son), took the pictures for me.

Since taking the pictures, we have added polished 18K JoWo nibs to both of the fountains

Hope you like them,
Jon

Attachments

• elephant.jpg
    elephant.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 778
  • ship 1.jpg
    ship 1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 702
  • ship 2.jpg
    ship 2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 742
  • dragon 1.jpg
    dragon 1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 804
  • dragon 2.jpg
    dragon 2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 572
  • dragon 3.jpg
    dragon 3.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 620

Turned Around

wow. the Dutch whaler ship and bog oak are a beautiful match. has an antique look to it. i've been wanting to find somebody to do some minor scrimshaw work for me, give my compliments to the artist.

firewhatfire

They are all amazing. I am in agreement about that the whaler, it's a real looker.

One of these days I am gonna realize that you are ahead of the curve on cool pen ideas. Your pens always make me drool on my keyboard and think now why didn't I think of that.

Phil

Sataro

Fantastic looking pens! That whaler/bog combo really caught my eye. But then I saw your dragon & can easily realize it's your favorite. Your artist doing the scrimshaw is very talented!!!

keithkarl2007

After looking at her other work I just wondered about the antlers from the Giant Irish Elk, which, oddly enough wasn't an elk only a deer. Full antlers from these amazing creatures are fetching crazy money. I'd love to see something similar to this scrimshawed onto a piece of antler from the same animal.
Knight_Megaloceros.jpg

A google search through up this particular piece. Fossil Antlers - Fossil Shack

BTW: Sorry for hijacking your thread.

GoodTurns

... you are ahead of the curve on cool pen ideas.

Ideas, I got...execution, sometimes! These all came out well above expectations

Have you discussed using faux ivory (acrylic) instead of real ivory with her?

We talked about it, she prefers not to work in anything other than natural materials (I thought I had some stuff in my shop...she has a variety of tusks, old billiard balls, antlers, a narwhale tusk/tooth....amazing stuff). There are others working with the alternatives, and doing very nice work, so mine will only be naturals in order to set them apart.

I really like the Whaler/Bog Oak pen. The bog oak isn't too dark to overwhelm the scrimshaw work.

I have made and sold several mechanically engraved pens using this combo, the black and white with graining and the idea of everything being thousands of years old really makes an interesting story and presentation.

ManyThanks for the kind words!

OKLAHOMAN

Jon. there are many who do good good work , there are a few that combine that with execution, and fewer still those that know what to do with their Ideas after executing them, your in a very small class of the aforementioned.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Those are really special !!:)

I don't think you should have used a Sierra though. It deserves better.

Is 'Elephant on Elephant' just a typo? :confused:

GoodTurns

Those are really special !!:)

I don't think you should have used a Sierra though. It deserves better.

Is 'Elephant on Elephant' just a typo? :confused:

An elephant on elephant ivory. Had a small "leftover" from a previous commission...just enough (and I did use the "good" sierra!

thewishman

I think your pens deserve a new "Yowza!!!" button. Love the elephant! Love the dragon!! Crazy mad about the ship!!! I remember, way back when, people thought a $1200 pen was a myth. You're making that mark look foolish. Nice, nice work.:)

GoodTurns

Did you use any type of polish/finish on the scrimshaw?

This was one of the points Jane and I discussed. A quick spray with a wipe on poly is an option, but we decided to keep them natural. They can be "refreshed" with fresh ink if need be down the road. I did not want any "shiny" on the pens, so did not want to take the risk of not completely masking the non-scrimshawed areas, particularly the ship (the bog oak is simply sanded and polished, no top finish).

B Wo

These pens are jaw-droppingly gorgeous. Cool materials to work with, and the scrimshaw is excellent.

Also, did not know that someone who practiced scrimshaw was a "scrimshander."

Fun to look at, and educational, haha.

juteck

This was one of the points Jane and I discussed. A quick spray with a wipe on poly is an option, but we decided to keep them natural. They can be "refreshed" with fresh ink if need be down the road. I did not want any "shiny" on the pens, so did not want to take the risk of not completely masking the non-scrimshawed areas, particularly the ship (the bog oak is simply sanded and polished, no top finish).

All of these are excellent! I'd have a hard time picking my own favorite, but I think the dragon would be in the lead for me! I'd love to see a view that shows the top button too!

Will the ivory ever dry out? A colleague of mine has a set of presentation ivory gun grips, and he was given instructions to keep them oiled periodically to avoid drying out. I've never worked with ivory, so I don't know the answer either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Last edited:
Top Bottom