Red,white and blue SS Hex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
This little pen is has six segments of red white and blue pr cut into the corners of the stainless hexagon and a little button of it on the mech finial. The pr was just left overs from the very first pr I mixed a while back. Only the surface of the pr had the colours as the red and blue floated to the surface. Donor clip ( Sierra I think? ) The second pic just shows how the bits are fitted.
Hope you like, and comments and critiques welcome:biggrin:

Attachments

• RWBHex1.jpg
    RWBHex1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 524
  • RWBHex2.jpg
    RWBHex2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Yawn,.:yawn:.....................Ho-Hum.:sleepy: Just another fabulous, over the top, drop dead gorgeous, unbelievable wok of art.

I wanna be a skiprat when I grow up!!:crying:

It's beautiful beyond words Stephen.
:wink::worship::tongue::worship:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks guys!!!:biggrin:

IIRC, I mixed this pr when Andy ( UKpenmaker) once came to visit and tried to teach me how to use a skew. I think we used about two or three litres of resin and this is only the second pen that I managed to get from it. The rest was basically just white. The first pen lives with a wonderful lady in Wisconsin:biggrin:

rsmith

Skip, you may need to check your lathe, a lot of your pens recently seem to have the corners left on them:wink: Took me a minute to figure out how you got the offset effect with the angles in the PR, I only wish I could see that kinda of stuff in my head when I am designing (and had the desire to sand my fingerprints off in the process:rolleyes:). awesome job, and to date one of my favorites of yours :worship::worship:

MartinPens

Dude. I just sat and stared. You are in a league of your own. Where are those little bowing emoticon gif thingies. Great work and craftsmanship!

Martin

David Keller

Very nicely done. I can honestly say based on what I've seen on IAP that you may be my favorite penmaker. I've never considered purchasing a pen from another, but I'm starting to get the urge to get an original skiprat pen!

jttheclockman

Skip as everyone has said this is truely another masterpiece. I was wondereing if you would be so kind as to give us mere mortals a brief explanation on the execution of said pen??? If you have trade secrets I do understand and will accept that as an answer. Thanks for showing.

bitshird

Skip, I think you are finally getting the hang of this skill, Not the pen part,,, the making everybody's bottom jaw bounce off their keyboard part, Stunning work sir.

KDM

It's a beauty.

I'd love more details on construction. Did you grind the triangular holes out of a piece of hex stainless, or did you bed the PR and then grind the whole lot hex?

PS - I'm nearly finished my first gallon of resin and I've made one PR pen so far.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I was wondereing if you would be so kind as to give us mere mortals a brief explanation on the execution of said pen??? If you have trade secrets I do understand and will accept that as an answer. Thanks for showing.

It's a beauty.

I'd love more details on construction. Did you grind the triangular holes out of a piece of hex stainless, or did you bed the PR and then grind the whole lot hex?

LOL, I don't want to sound big headed, but this was not difficult to make.
1. Take a length of stainless hex rod.
2. Drill a small hole for the nib as about 20mm deep in one end.
3. Drill a 7mm hole in the other end using a long bit.
4. Thread the end to accept a mech
5. Shape the front.
6. Sand the sides of the hex to get rid of the rough surface ( Lots!!)
7. Polish the steel.
8. With an end mill in the lathe and the pen in the toolpost, cut the notches. Slight angle on the tool post.
9. Cut 6 bits of pr and round the one end of each to match the notch
10. Glue in 3 bits of pr in one end and sand flush with steel.
11 Glue in the other 3 bits and sand again.
12. Make a sleeve for the mech.
13. Polish it a bit

Done:biggrin:

Thanks for all the comments!!! My ego is now fully restored:biggrin::tongue:

Mark

It's like those Kohler commercials.

Build me a pen around this clip.

WOW, that is top-notch...

PenMan1

Amazing Steven! You work seems to get significantly better with each attempt. This is my favorite of you posted work to date. Nicely done!

KDM

8. With an end mill in the lathe and the pen in the toolpost, cut the notches. Slight angle on the tool post.

Well, it's obvious now that you say it. Prepare for your ego to take a hammering: now that I know your secret, it's not so impressive. :wink:

Nope - I can't lie. It's still a lovely pen!

PenPal

Steve

I dont only respect your workmanship but really care for your sense of humour nor have I forgotton you placing yourself in the beginner section for the last PITH swap.

As you know I dabble a little in Hexes myself but am in awe with your acheivements using Stainless.

We in Australia live in a small population scattered around a large area comparatively and have serious supply problems you seem to have overcome in Great Britain.

What a breath of fresh air you bring to the Forum. Thank you.

The pen defies normal parameters both in materials and thinking, your execution amazing it is landmark standard production. The Princesses Salute is warranted long live the King.

Kind regards Peter.

Top Bottom