Prototypes for the local PD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tuba707

Tuba707

Got these two made up for our city's police department - one in a nice deep blue acrylic (it is a little darker without the flash) and my own version of a Kevlar look-alike. I need to get them engraved next, and after that, we'll see if they like them!

Open to all suggestions, by the way, including suggestions/solicitations for engraving the badge on the pens.

gpdpens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice looking pens!

I'd suggest Ken (laserturner) at Kallenshaan Woods for the engraving.

gwisher

Being in Law Enforcement myself I think they will like the Kevlar look-a-like the best. We love to collect things related to our field. I am going to try and make some shell casing pens for a few of my co-workers. Those pens look GREAT! What did you use for the Kevlar material?

oldsmokey

Hi Joel, I have made a lot of pens that I sold to fellow Detectives and a few patrol officers. The LAPD uniforms didn't have much room in the pen/pencil pocket of the uniform. Also, most of the guys used pencils. I used to carry a pentel pencil and pen set from cross. They were small enough to fit the pocket. Now days I would make a pentel pencil conversion and a slimline for carry pen and pencil.
Also keep in mind that many departments are going to laptop computers that the officers make their reports on while in the field.
I had Ken Kallenshan engrave a picture of my badge on a statesman pen. You must take a very good picture of the badge and send it to him. If you do this, be sure and select a wood that will show off the badge. I made this mistake and the picture of the badge didn't show up as good as I wanted. A badge has a lot of detail on it which didn't come out as well as I liked, not Ken's fault. I don't think I would do a badge engraving again.
Ellis

Tuba707

Those are nice Joel! Have you thought about using a waterslide decal instead of engraving?

Yes, and that may still be an option, but they really want engraving for some reason =)

Being in Law Enforcement myself I think they will like the Kevlar look-a-like the best. We love to collect things related to our field. I am going to try and make some shell casing pens for a few of my co-workers. Those pens look GREAT! What did you use for the Kevlar material?

Thanks! I used black resin-cast cotton fiber. Nasty stuff to turn, but I also love the look.

Hi Joel, I have made a lot of pens that I sold to fellow Detectives and a few patrol officers. The LAPD uniforms didn't have much room in the pen/pencil pocket of the uniform. Also, most of the guys used pencils. I used to carry a pentel pencil and pen set from cross. They were small enough to fit the pocket. Now days I would make a pentel pencil conversion and a slimline for carry pen and pencil.
Also keep in mind that many departments are going to laptop computers that the officers make their reports on while in the field.
I had Ken Kallenshan engrave a picture of my badge on a statesman pen. You must take a very good picture of the badge and send it to him. If you do this, be sure and select a wood that will show off the badge. I made this mistake and the picture of the badge didn't show up as good as I wanted. A badge has a lot of detail on it which didn't come out as well as I liked, not Ken's fault. I don't think I would do a badge engraving again.
Ellis

I am going to try a few different methods and see what they like. They requested the engraving first, and I might do some color fill since both materials are dark. Thanks for the advice and input, it is very much appreciated.

Joel They both look good, but the Sierra with the Kevlar look looks more Cop like.

I agree. I hope the engraving turns out the way they hope.

Top Bottom