Polymer Clay Experiment 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MarkY

MarkY

I decided last night to have a go at a damascus steel-style polymer clay blank. I'm fairly happy, and have a couple of ideas on how to improve it next time.

20120603104721.jpg

Here's the other's from this weekend: (L-R: inlace, Rhino plastic, Alligator Juniper)
20120602170417.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Mark,

You nailed that Damascus far out an astounding Vertex. I examine Vertex very carefully normally saying with reference to the kit if only they had made about five to eight careful considerations in the design it would lend itself to so many more treatments with different blanks etc. Also you photographed it in soft lighting and a shallow depth of field and the kit even looks matte and totally meshes in with the soft colours, why even the background gives an ethereal look to the pen, all in all the outstanding Damascus pen in perfectly reasonable priced kit and blank I have seen, I would not alter one dimension.

By the way did I say your pen is magnificent. Is there a matte chrome kit if this is one I think it is even more careful choice made by you.? Despair with the main importer prevents me from using too many of his products so my knowledge is limited to the chrome I use.

The other pens the click is useful Inlace, the Rhino Plastic a more pleasing shape and impressive, the Jupiter displays the timber well.

When the Vertex pens are turned your damned if you do and cursed if you dont match up either to the first point of contact at either end that is round or turn to match the hex shape and taper to the round size, all sorts of confusion leaving on the one hand a thin skin of material of the blank or fatter or rounded shape, I have tried them all my conclusion is to one day change that shape at either end of the round to hex on the other hand to push on with a hex shaped blank.

Kind regards Peter.

PenPal

Mark,

Just looked up the PSI site and yes there are four different Vertex Pens including a brushed Satin.

Very profound Scott please give your comments on the pen and Vertex kits as you find them it was interesting for me to comment on my personal opinions, observations based on many Vertex pens I have made.

Kind regards Peter.

OOPS

That is incredible! Someone who knows or appreciates fine knives will really want to own one of those. I really think you nailed the look of Damascus steel, and it looks particularly stunning with the matching hardware.

I also like your Rhino plastic offering. I too like the straight line design you chose for this pen. I have never turned Rhino plastic before... how does it differ from other acrylics? I sure like the beauty of the final product. Thanks for posting these, and please be sure to post more of your polymer clay "experiments."

Thanks.

NYWoodturner

MarkY - Your Damascus steel blank is truly amazing. A lot of attention to detail went in there. Fit and Finish on those pens is spot on ! Nice work
Scott

MarkY

Rhino experience

I have never turned Rhino plastic before... how does it differ from other acrylics? I sure like the beauty of the final product.
Thanks.

I did the inlace one first, breaking off chunks like crazy at first. I had a look online and found that it was a harder turn than most. Once I relaxed a bit it turned quite nicely.
Next I did the Rhino plastic. It is probably a little harder (more brittle) than the PSI / CSUSA acrylics I've used before, but after the inlace it didn't seem that bad at all.

m.

Top Bottom