Pentel Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RobS

RobS

Ok, After 2 failures, I figured it out and have successfully made a bespoke Pentel pencil for an artist friend who wanted something he picked out.

PSI Blue Tiger Stripe (FYI the stabalization on this lot was on the low side)
The following non-standard tools were used
Perfect Mandrel I also had a non stepped drill included/added to my order (A Perfect Mandrel, Step Drill, Bushing and Nuts Combo Package, Mandrels, PerfectCombo - The Perfect Collection)
Beal Chuck

View in Gallery

How to.
1) Cut your blank down to 4.60"
2) Drill with the non-stepped drill (you will drill short to 4.315)
2) Drill with the stepped drill (you will adjust the drill stop so the distance from the step to the stop is 4.315)
3) Place the pencil mechanism in the hole, and measure the amount the pencil protrudes. You want it to protrude ~.310", trim to length the block on the front end to get this protrusion. ****Make sure the drilled stepped hole is completely clean, failure to clean it out will give you a false measurement and you could end up trimming too much off.
4) Now verify with the pencil inside the block that when you remove the back cap the eraser is easily accessible, if not trim a bit off the back (total length should be 4.438).
****By drilling short and trimming after you have drilled, you prevent the likely hood of blowing out the thin front end.
****Please use a strong blank, items that have been factory stabilized very in stabilization quality.

View in Gallery

Thank you to all who have previously posted on this topic, this was the only way I could get a quality .5mm pencil for an artist who needs the ability to add lead easily and control it well. All other options I could find were .7mm.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

Man... nice job!
I bought all the stuff quite some time ago and tried a couple... I failed miserably and got distracted. I just may have to try again.

Thanks for posting!

RobS

Michael

I'll shoot for having the process documented in this thread in the next 10 days but I'll try for Friday of this week.

Keep the faith I almost quit on it but the result was worth it.
Make sure you use strong hardy blanks that will help too.

RobS

Ok, drawing added with additional instructions to the original posting. I hope it works out for you Mike and any others.

Top Bottom