pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RHossack

RHossack

Haven't posted in a while ...

This fulfilled my very late PITH commitment, a Sedona in Redwood Burl
Sedona-RB2-800.jpg

And a couple of slimlines made from scrap lumber designated for the dumpster.
Spalted Cherry Burl dressed in Copper kit.
4428204SCP-1-800.jpg

7291194SCP-4-800.jpg

Pic is lousy but you'll get an idea of the grain in the Black Walnut Burl in Gold

9141946OP-SL_001-800.jpg

4560759OP-SL_002-800.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nickfff

Nice, the slimlines look like they are one piece. How do you engage the transmission to reveal/hide the refill?

RHossack

Nice, the slimlines look like they are one piece. How do you engage the transmission to reveal/hide the refill?
You just twist the nib.

Two excellent tutorials here. One by Don Ward and the other by Bob Altig.

I just followed their journey and modified it for my purposes.

its_virgil

Thanks Ron. Your one piece slim looks great. I like making them and it is a nifty modification.
My article can be found here: http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles and scroll down to the last one in the list.

Let's see more one piece slims. Try Ron's take on the one piece cigar. It is a sweet modification also. His article is in the IAP livrary. I should send mine to the keeper of the articles.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

You just twist the nib.

Two excellent tutorials here. One by Don Ward and the other by Bob Altig.

I just followed their journey and modified it for my purposes.

PaulDoug

RON, those are some really nice pens. Great pictures also. The wood is really beautiful. I didn't know you had it in you!:biggrin::rolleyes:

RHossack

Thanks Ron.
You are welcome ... your article is what inspired me ...
Your one piece slim looks great. I like making them and it is a nifty modification.
Thanks again ... I just like the look of the one piece pens.

One minor or major mod I do depending on your perspective.

After wearing out the end with the nib of some spalted blue pine and it becoming egg shaped I now use a "J" drill on the nib end and dribble some CA down the hole for 1/2" - 1" and then ream the hole with an "I" drill.

This allows for a nice slip fit without much slop and the CA acts like a bearing surface and helps the wearing problem on softer woods.

Have a cedar pen going on 6-9 months and no wear at all.

RHossack

Nice pend Ron, the Sedona is very nice, but the Cherry burl and the walnut are great.
Thanks ... both the cherry and the black walnut were free wood.

One of the neighbors works at a place that supplies cabinet shops with wood and these were 4 x 4's that the lumber was shipped on.

All of them are heart wood so you don't know what you have until you start cutting it.

Another neighbor makes furniture in his garage and 90%+ of the wood is straight grained and that is what he wants but the other 10% is where I get mine from.

its_virgil

Great tip and improvement. I'm going to demo the one piece slimline along with other slimline mods at the Utah Symposium and I will pass the improvement along. I'm making 3 this evening in various stages of completion and will definitely add it and check it out. I'm sure it will work fine.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

After wearing out the end with the nib of some spalted blue pine and it becoming egg shaped I now use a "J" drill on the nib end and dribble some CA down the hole for 1/2" - 1" and then ream the hole with an "I" drill.

This allows for a nice slip fit without much slop and the CA acts like a bearing surface and helps the wearing problem on softer woods.

Have a cedar pen going on 6-9 months and no wear at all.

Top Bottom