Panache practice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

Hello chaps
Made this one tonight which its design is obviously copied from a panache kit. This is a practice pen so i could get a feel for the design, before doing it for real on the design i have in mind.

Sure this will make a nice desk pen for work though :) Thats my wifes hand by the way... i don't wear girly rings (sshhh Steve :tongue:)

the base and top is 25mm wide, tapered down to 15mm in the middle.

As always, thanks for looking

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• p1a.jpg
    p1a.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 422
  • p2a.jpg
    p2a.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 427
  • p3a.jpg
    p3a.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 433
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Thanks Branden
I know what i could do with it, though i appreciate your post. its this size for a reason.

plantman

Brad; You either have a very large pen, or a very small fireplace !! Excellent work as usual. Look at my thread " test your skill ", to see another variation on this kit. Jim S

jttheclockman

That has to be one of the heaviest pens I have seen. A couple things come to mind besides the weight. The shape tends to have the pen slip forward and with the use of metals such as this it would be moreso. I made a all aluminum cigar that I Use often on my desk and that is one of the factors I noticed about it. It wants to slip out of my hand or slide down as such. Now what might prevent this is the profile of the nib section. But again it is metal as opposed to a plastic or rubber. Just some thoughts as I watch this pen unfold.

jttheclockman

I wish my metal lathe had the ability to taper.

You absolutly do not need a metal lathe to make any pen and any wood lathe will do tapers. I hope that is not something people think when they see some of these pens made by Skip or Brad.

Made this one using my Jet 1014VS lathe not that long ago.

CopyofIMGP0937.jpg

Last edited:

BradG

:) Thats my wifes hand by the way... i don't wear girly rings (sshhh Steve :tongue:)

Don't worry Bradlina, your secrets are safe with me !! Nudge nudge, wink wink!! :)

What is it made from?

Cats out the bag now :rolleyes:
It's Aluminium

That has to be one of the heaviest pens I have seen. A couple things come to mind besides the weight. The shape tends to have the pen slip forward and with the use of metals such as this it would be moreso. I made a all aluminum cigar that I Use often on my desk and that is one of the factors I noticed about it. It wants to slip out of my hand or slide down as such. Now what might prevent this is the profile of the nib section. But again it is metal as opposed to a plastic or rubber. Just some thoughts as I watch this pen unfold.

Its not as heavy as it looks being aluminium. If it was my material of choice, brass , then you would be at risk breaking your toe if it fell off your desk :biggrin:. I can see how it could slip from your hand when held normally, though I personally don't hold a pen normally when I write. I hold my pen in the same manner as my wife is in the picture, with the webbing between my thumb and index finger supporting the pen. As I am gripping it down pretty much the entire length of the pen with the side of the thumb, no slipping occurs. I've no idea how I learned to write this way, but it sure doesn't help when it comes to writing calligraphy or with a fountain pen unfortunately. lots of scratching occurs. Nice work on your Panache by the way, very eye catching with the aluminium dot detailing and alternating colour design.

Top Bottom