One Way to Use Up Short Pieces of Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from The Texas Penwright

Here's a quill pen set I made from some short pieces of mesquite that I glued together for the inkwell. The shaft is a pinion feather off a wild turkey.

Jim

Attachments

• QPS-M2.jpg
    QPS-M2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 439
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grz5

Very nice. Could you possibly outline the general proceedure for making one? I have several shorts that I would be happy to use up :)

Very nice. Could you possibly outline the general proceedure for making one? I have several shorts that I would be happy to use up :)
It's been some time since I made this one, but here's essentially what I did. I glued up three or four pieces side-by-side and let them dry while I glued up two or three more side-by-side. When both were dried or cured, I stacked the shortest one on top and glued them into place.

Then I drilled down the center and put in a regular pen tube, mounted it on the mandrel and got with it. When done, I taped the hole in the bottom and poured enough epoxy into it to fill the bottom of the tube. Then I covered the bottom with felt.

The part where the shaft of the feather fits in is nothing more than a smaller version of a segmented pen half with the nib epoxied into place.

I have some other photos I'll post later as "Quill Pen Sets."

That's it, fellows.

JIm

Top Bottom