And one more... Blackwood this time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Nice piece of African Blackwood on a Chrome Baron Fountain pen...
Sanded to 2000 grit then 3 coats of sanding sealer and then Enduro...
This is going to be my everyday pen...

2005826122348_BlackwoodBaron.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Wow, Tom, even though I can't see the grain, I find the pen rather stunning! I have some Blacwood and may have to make me one of those... I have a few Chrome Baron FPs too. [:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tom,

Good to see you turning again!!!

Nice pen. Have you been using Enduro long enough to know if it will be durable?

I know you demand a lot from your pens, so "inquiring minds want to know".[:)]

Dario

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />"inquiring minds want to know".[:)]

[:D] YEAH!!! ME TOO!!! [:D][}:)]

BTW, nice pen. All your pens are exceptional...what makes this "EXTRA" special to covet the honor of being your daily pen?

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Thanks... feels good to get in front of the lathe again.. temps here have finally broken to a point that I can actually be in the shop and not melt... just hope they stay that way for a while...

I have not been using the enduro long enough to personally know it's durability.. but Wayne has been using it for a long time and I trust his judgement... one of things that I like about it is that you can have the finish done the second day... but you still need to let it cure a couple of days to get fully hard.. like lacquer... but a couple of sample pieces that I did show that it is a hard finish when cured and glass clear.. virtually magnifies the grain of the wood...

As for what made the blackwood "extra special".. NOTHING... I just liked the look and decided I needed a new pen to carry daily... [:D]

wayneis

As far as I am conserned Enduro is the finish for me. It dries hard, is fairly easy to apply but best of all it does not stink and make me sick like ca does. I also believe that, like Tom said it magnifyes the grain so if when you have that special blank with outstanding grain it just jumps right out at you. Once you get the hang and get just the right amount of sanding sealer and Enduro then it has a nice feel and it does not discolor or darken lighter wood.

If you stop and think of the work that goes into making a nice pen, all the time that it takes some of us to pick out wood for a kit then doesn't it make sence that you would want to take your time and give that pen the best finish possable. In my opinion, when it comes to any woodwork what makes or breaks a piece is the finish and the hardware. I also make jewerly boxs and when I go into a store and see a beautiful box and then open it and see cheap hinges I just cringe. I use 24K plated brass jewerly hinges on all of my boxs so why should I do anything less to anything else that I make. My Grandfather told me many times that if its worth the time to do its worth the time to do it right. I try to keep that in mind.

Wayne

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Wayne,

Sorry if it sounded like I was questioning you or Griz on your abilities. In reality, I have spent years improving my technique at finishing plastics, but have turned few wood pens. Now, I would like to expand to include wood, but I also am demanding on my pens to keep customers happy and not "come back home" at shows.

So, THANKS for your help. I will certainly try Enduro.

footnote: Wayne, your order is going out as we type.[:D]

Dario

So where do you get Enduro? Is there a supplier here amongst us?

LOML read this thread and gave me a go ahead to try it [:D].

Did I say how much I love her?

Pssst I know she will read this too LOL[}:)]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Here is the link... you have to call them and ask for the starter kit... they do not have an online order system....
http://www.compliantspraysystems.com/enduro_water_base_coatings/exterior_interior_poly_page1.htm

Dario

Thanks Tom,

I saw that before but just wondering if there are other re-seller here. From there...which should I get? Looks like there is a non-poly, 1qt and 2qt poly (for only $2.00 more?) Or am I reading this wrong?

====================================
Kit Includes:
-1 QT. Clear Sanding Sealer
-1 QT Clear Top Coat
-2 Sanding Sponge Pads
(Fine and Very Fine)

Lacquer

Start-1 - Non Poly - $22.00
Start-2 - 1qt Poly - $24.00
Start-3 - 2qt Poly - $26.00

Status
Not open for further replies.