Ohia, Diamonds and Blackwood!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

Got a piece of Ohia (had never heard of it) as an extra along with a deburring tool I ordered from Hunter-27 (Landon). It was the only piece I could find big enough for what I wanted to do and worked out great! Beautiful wood. Read about it here.
(the blank the pen is sitting on is not Ohia :biggrin: )

The diamond/silver band is a ring I got from Kohl's (on sale $7) O.K. they're not diamonds! : ) but they're sparkly!

It is a closed end pen with a blackwood finial cap.

I haven't designed the cap yet. I have no idea what is going to work for the cap. Hoping I will work it out in my sleep! :yawn: The kit is a sterling silver Churchill.

Enjoy!

Martin

Attachments

• HDiamond-9173b.jpg
    HDiamond-9173b.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 311
  • HDiamond-9175b.jpg
    HDiamond-9175b.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 189
  • HDiamond-9179b.jpg
    HDiamond-9179b.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

Great looking Pen, I have a ring that I have been wanting to do something with and you have just inspired me with an idea THANKS.

MartinPens

Andrew Arndts said:
Is that a toe ring or you just made so it will seat down perfectly. Very nice.

It's just a regular ring, but that's an even better idea - a toe ring! I was wishing the ring was smaller. Hoping to get the design to work - similar to the Pinache but classier. A toe ring would allow for different applications.

I turned the blank at a gradual increase ending in a diameter larger than the ring. With the calipers, I knew where the ring would go flush with the blank and I gradually cut a notch until the ring slid on snuggly. I then moved the notch closer to the nib slightly until the diameter matched the pen diameter (actually a little wider since I had sanding yet to do). I then turned an inset hole on the end to receive the cap finial.

I took the closed-end mandrel off the lathe with the pen on it and mounted the blackwood piece. I turned the blackwood piece down until it fit in the inset hole, trying the fit after very small cuts. Once it fit, I worked on the shape until I liked it. I parted the piece and glued the ring and the cap finial in place and then remounted the closed-end mandrel and finished the end of the finial. Now if I can just remember all of this. : )

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

ToddMR

Looks really cool. That is a pretty neat idea on something different to include in your pen design.

MartinPens

turbowagon said:
Toe rings are usually open-ended though, right?

Cool idea and design!

- Joe

Aaaahhhh, that's true. So where it is open is where the clip comes down? : ) Thanks

Martin

Brooks803

I got a stick of that wood not too long ago and didn't know anything about it till now, so thanks for the info!

The pen is awesome! Maybe instead of a cap make it a desk pen with a base using blackwood and another ring???

MartinPens

Some good ideas. A desk pen... hmmmmm that has potential. And I'd better get back to Kohl's in case I need another ring. Decisions, decisions. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am encouraged to move forward.

Martin

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
now that has inspired me............... may have to come up with something for my mother 86th birthday in a few months. She would love it.

wizard

Martin, That is so creative..I love it! Looks very regal ! Very curious to see what emerges from that sleep time and decision making for the cap. Regards, Doc

MartinPens

I'm still blank on this one. I think my first step will be to match the cap to the body. Keep it simple. Headed to Kohl's today, hoping they have another ring just like that one. Maybe a different color stone? I don't know. I thought of a desk pen but haven't really seen too many elegant styles of that. That one might take some trial and error. Thanks for the comments and I hope to have something posted within the week. Kids are back in school and I'm getting unburied from my domestic engineering duties (cleaning the house since I work at home!).

Thanks again,

Martin

MartinPens

Russianwolf said:
idea noted for later theft.... eeerrr I mean assimilation.:tongue:

Nice.

LOL
Time to turn on the alarm system. And by the way, my dogs' lodgings are in the garage next to the workshop. : ) I won't mention that they are poodle/ golden retriever mixes and will likely only lick you to death - oh wait, I just did mention it.

Knock yourself out! It's $7 bling. : )

Look forward to seeing your assimilated version.

Martin

Russianwolf

Russianwolf said:
idea noted for later theft.... eeerrr I mean assimilation.:tongue:

Nice.

LOL
Time to turn on the alarm system. And by the way, my dogs' lodgings are in the garage next to the workshop. : ) I won't mention that they are poodle/ golden retriever mixes and will likely only lick you to death - oh wait, I just did mention it.

Knock yourself out! It's $7 bling. : )

Look forward to seeing your assimilated version.

Martin

Cool, I'll bring the huskies and the mutt we are trying to find a home for. No sense being a "rude" intruder, gotta bring playmates.

Top Bottom