Never say "never"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Larry in Harrow

As a confirmed wood-only type of guy I probably have uttered those words about using anything else for pen making.
However, I discovered Exotic Penblanks and their wonderful works of art:

Photo 1 - A Junior Marshall Rollerball dressed in Cetacean Seas.

Rollerball_Rodium_Cetacean-Seas_Exotic-Penblanks_1.jpg

Photo 2: Close up in an attempt to catch the pearl effect better.

Rollerball_Rodium_Cetacean-Seas_Exotic-Penblanks_2.jpg

Photo 3: The reason I discovered this material. The plan was only to make a couple Mach III rasors as Christmas gifts for my sons. Wood being not really appropriate for the water exposure -

1__9071_MACH-III_Black-Pearl_Exotic-Penblanks_1.jpg

Photo 4: Together

1__9070__9071.jpg

I think I'll be using more of this stuff.
Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Nicely done, I know how you feel, when I first started it was going to be wood only, then came aluminum, then came acrylics, then I started pouring the stinking stuff ( No I mean it really does stink) now some day I'll switch from Polyester Resin to Alumilite and see what it's like, I know it does turn nicely.

GoodTurns

been down that road myself....swore i would only be a WOODturner...welcome to the dark side, it's fun over here! Great looking pen and razor!

nytefaii

Larry, fantastic pens. Thumbs up.

I am curious if you painted the tubes/blanks? If so, was it dark or light colored?

I have a few of those blanks I am about to turn, and they don't look that dark, and just wondering what effect the painted tubes will have. May do different on 3 of them to get different results on all 3.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Thanks Chris. Yup, I painted the inside of the blanks blue and used a chemical solution to blacken the tubes.

Larry, fantastic pens. Thumbs up.

I am curious if you painted the tubes/blanks? If so, was it dark or light colored?

I have a few of those blanks I am about to turn, and they don't look that dark, and just wondering what effect the painted tubes will have. May do different on 3 of them to get different results on all 3.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Crickett

Well, well, well ... look who's tried it on the other side of the fence and admits he likes it!!! It's about time Larry, I knew you wouldn't hold out forever!! :wink: :biggrin:

Great job on the pen and razor!!

Marla

TurnedAround

Larry....Larry...Larry. What are we going to do with you? You have no principles. ( I came over a couple of months ago :redface:)

Gorgeous work as usual. At least that hasn't changed.:cool:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Beautiful work, and MAN, WHAT A PHOTO!!

Both look great, I really like the "indents" in the razor handle. Very practical for soapy hands.

Great polish too, did you buff or use some type of really good plastic polish???

Beautiful work, and MAN, WHAT A PHOTO!!

Both look great, I really like the "indents" in the razor handle. Very practical for soapy hands.

Great polish too, did you buff or use some type of really good plastic polish???

Thanks Ed. This is easy with your blanks! I turned them with one tool, a 1" roughing gouge (very sharp), sanded with P320, P400, P600 then added the details with a beading tool. Switched to wet sanding; wet/dry 600 and 1000 followed by MM from 2400 up. The only other product I used is Maguiar's Paste Car Wax, and usually one coat, buffed with a micro fibre cloth by hand.
I do hide the turning center in the handle end with a 1/4" MOP or Abalone dot depending on the blank at the time. I've never figured out how to show this detail in a flattering photo but it does add to the appearance.

Lenny

Larry in Harrow <snip> I think I'll be using more of this stuff. Thanks for looking.[/quote said:
You and me too!
Absolutely beautiful! If I had seen this before placing my second order from them this morning I would have included a couple of those in my order. Nicely done!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you placed the order this morning, it's not shipped yet. PM me if you want to add something. But, do it quickly, I hope to go home tonight sometime.

Top Bottom