My first Pen by myself...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Len Shreck

Len Shreck

I am going to try and post some pics of the first pen I made myself from start to finish I hope it works. I had to stabilize the wood a few times but I think it turned out pretty good. It looks a lot better then it does in the photos. Feel free to send comments or suggestions for improvement. Thanks..Len

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Len Shreck

Note to self: When doing a turning and wearing a Flannel shirt make sure the pockets are buttoned or your wife will not be happy about the wood shavings that end up in your pocket and then the wash/washing machine. :wink::wink:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Very nice pen Len. Fit looks spot on. As for your wife, just make her a pen and tell her you are sorry. That will work a couple times anyway! :rolleyes:

Len Shreck

The bad part about completing my first pen is I wanted to go back to the shop and make more as soon as I got pictures of it to post on here. I see what everyone means about it being an addiction, well at least I know what some people are getting for Christmas...LOL

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Note to self: When doing a turning and wearing a Flannel shirt make sure the pockets are buttoned or your wife will not be happy about the wood shavings that end up in your pocket and then the wash/washing machine. :wink::wink:

Console your wife with the fact that you only made ONE pen. Given more time and experience, you will be able to get the shavings in your SHORTS, TOO!!! And, when you have become a true master, pants cuffs can be added.

Oh, yes SHE will LOVE your new HOBBY!!!

Remember those "Put the seat down on the toilet" lectures, THEY will end!!!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Len, thats a really nice looking pen. I'm curious as to what your finish is.

You might as well pick out a few sets of "Penturning" clothes now. What with shavings and CA and all, it'll be easier than . . . making pens for everyone your wife knows.

Len Shreck

LOL She read that and walked away laughing she is still laughing and says to let you know that she has me trained to put the seat down, make supper, do the dishes, do laundry, wash the windows, and take out the garbage.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I practice the "good neighbor" policy. If I don't wash the windows, the neighbors don't see IN!!! So, I am saving them from watching me before I shave, in the morning.

Len Shreck

Cathy,
I first put on some CA and then I used 5 coats of Hut high gloss, It is shellac and waxes mixture. I am not sure what the actual name of it is but I got it from CSUSA.

seawolf

I learned from experience that a tight fitting synthetic wind breaker stops most of the shavings from going in the house. LOML says it's a good idea!
Mark

Len Shreck

I am like almost all of you in the respect that I must learn from experience and yelling, me being the one getting yelled at by my beautiful wife Jen has always been a good teaching tool...lol. I sure hope you all know I am joking about being yelled at she just ask me to make sure my pockets are buttoned next time she also wants me to try to keep the dogs out of the shop because they like to carry the wood shavings into the house also. I must say that no matter what I love my wife and will try to abide by her wishes in the future, after 15 yrs of marriage and being together for 20 yrs we have learned to listen to each other. Len

Last edited:

dustmaker

Nice pen, Len. An interesting profile. I usually wear "grubbies" when in the shop or pull an old sweat shirt over what I am wearing. It's not just the shavings, but CA, and polish that can get slewn back on you and that is much worse with the LOML than shavings in the pockets or on the floor! We will be celebrating 27 years next week and as you say we have learned to respect each other and our idiosynchrasies.

Daniel

Len, I am usually good about shaking off the dust before I come in. I seldom hear a thing from my wife. But the other day I came in after a particularly messy episode with the lathe and Kim starts smacking me on the head. Turns out I had a fair amount of shavings in my hair as well.

I am like almost all of you in the respect that I must learn from experience and yelling, me being the one getting yelled at by my beautiful wife Jen has always been a good teaching tool...lol. I sure hope you all know I am joking about being yelled at she just ask me to make sure my pockets are buttoned next time she also wants me to try to keep the dogs out of the shop because they like to carry the wood shavings into the house also. I must say that no matter what I love my wife and will try to abide by her wishes in the future, after 15 yrs of marriage and being together for 20 yrs we have learned to listen to each other. Len

Ligget

Now that is a nice pen, remember to keep it safe as most penturners keep their first one, great to look back on in a few months to see how you`ve progressed!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Len, I am usually good about shaking off the dust before I come in. I seldom hear a thing from my wife. But the other day I came in after a particularly messy episode with the lathe and Kim starts smacking me on the head. Turns out I had a fair amount of shavings in my hair as well.
I just wish I still had hair to get shavings into. :eek:

bitshird

Len, that's a real nice job for your first (by your self) pen, the fit looks dead on, and not sure what finish you used but it looks good as well, I like the artistic elements, GREAT JOB!!!!

Top Bottom