My Attempt for the front page

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

This is my first attempt at a double closed end pen as well as a hidden clip. The blank is a banded ivory TruStone from R&B crafts. I used the centerband and threads from an Rhodium Olympian Elite kit and used a clip from a Jr. Retro. MM to 12000 and buffed with tripoli and white diamond. Polished with PlastX and a coat of Ren wax. Any comments and critiques welcomed and appreciated.

Attachments

• 100_6098.jpg
    100_6098.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 100_6099.jpg
    100_6099.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 342
  • 100_6113.jpg
    100_6113.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 100_6108.jpg
    100_6108.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 268
  • 100_6116.jpg
    100_6116.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 192
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

It's very nice. The cap end seems a bit short to me visually, but that may just be the photo. Beautiful work on the hidden clip.

Brooks803

It's very nice. The cap end seems a bit short to me visually, but that may just be the photo. Beautiful work on the hidden clip.

it is a bit shorter than I wanted. I've never had a problem with any of the trustones I've bought but on this one I had an air bubble show up on the end and it chipped off. I wasn't able to save it so I had to shorten it up a tad, plus I was wanting to not use the stock centerband but with the chip out I had to bc it added the length that the chip out lost.

Brooks803

It is a beautiful pen!! Even with a sore thumb you managed this?
It is a very nice looking pen. Good job.

Jeff

I'm surprised I managed this with all fingers and toes in proper working order...dunno who has a sore thumb, but it's not me. Thank you for the comment tho!

Very nice work indeed. What mandrels did you use for the top and bottom?

I used transfer punches mounted in my barracuda chuck. For the cap I had to grind off a bit of metal and add a pin chuck. The body the punch was a perfect snug fit so no altering for that one.

seamus7227

Very nicely done! Thats too bad you had the blowout, it would have looked great without the centerband, not that it doesnt look good now, but you know what i mean.:frown:

Brooks803

Great work! Maybe I will let you teach the class on the 1st :biggrin::biggrin::wink:

Hans...All I had was ALOT of luck that the clip worked out at all. When I had the chip out I had to go plumit through ALL my kits to find a rhodium clip that wasn't longer than the cap itself! Trust me...I need help (in sooooo many ways :tongue::rolleyes:)

Very nicely done! Thats too bad you had the blowout, it would have looked great without the centerband, not that it doesnt look good now, but you know what i mean.:frown:

I do, I didn't want any color except the clip and the blank but since I haven't tried the kitless tap & die methods I had to go back to this design.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Very nice pen. My attempts at invisible clips have all failed. You did a very good job!

bgibb42

What a beautiful pen. I hate you guys that make great customizations on the first try.:rolleyes: Almost makes me want to give penturning. Almost.:wink: Nice job!

Brooks803

It's a beautiful pen Brooks. Good luck with your quest.

Thank you, but with the amazing work you've recently posted my chances have decreased drastically:wink:

What a beautiful pen. I hate you guys that make great customizations on the first try.:rolleyes: Almost makes me want to give penturning. Almost.:wink: Nice job!

You could just chalk it up to beginners luck...I gave this a go bc Hans is doing a demo on hidden clips on May 1st and since I'm a visual learner I wanted to get some firsthand experience so I can try to be on the same page while I'm watching Hans do his thing (which is awesome btw!). It'll be in columbia, SC if anyone can spare an afternoon to check it out. PM me for any details if interested!

Oldwagon

If you need a place to park that thing my desk has a empty spot on the pen stand waiting to be filled.That sure is nice.It should make front page without any trouble.Todd

Brooks803

If you need a place to park that thing my desk has a empty spot on the pen stand waiting to be filled.That sure is nice.It should make front page without any trouble.Todd

Sorry Todd, made this one for myself :biggrin:. This will be my trial into the fountain pen world. I want to learn how to adjust the nibs and so forth so when I do start upgrading to the nicer nibs I can be familiar with them. I'm starting on a matching onyx trustone rollerball probably tomorrow for a desk set for good ole me (unless someone wants to trade their wallet for it :wink:)

hewunch

ok, it looks like a Zen clip too, and I think the Zen clip is smaller and shorter and I had an extra.

Brooks803

If you could hang on to it for me I'd GREATLY appreciate it. I'm starting a matching black onyx rollerball today and have been trying to figure out what clip to use this go around. Oh yea, what plating is it though?

Brooks803

That will work. Could you bring it to the demo? I'll go ahead and have everything ready on my end and mabye install it there and show everyone how I did mine. Btw...what style pen are you thinking about doing yours on? I also have a couple extra clips from the Olympian Elite if you think you'll want/need them. They are both rhodium plating.

Brooks803

I just wanted to post a big thank you to everyone who has either looked or commented on this pen. It's the great people here that help motivate amateurs like myself to take that next step and improve on my skills each time. So Thank You all :biggrin:

Top Bottom