Mosaic Pin insert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

Based on the opening thread of the "Advanced Pen Making" page Curtis notes that posting something like this in the "Show Off Your Pen" might inspire others to try something new. If the picture below interest you then make your way over to the Advanced Pen Making section and look at the "Mosaic Pin Test in wood and PR."

6474330579_1bd8296c29_z.jpg

Try something new and you might be surprised:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Just brass inserts, nothing overly fancy. Hope it inspires others to try new things. Kind of hard on the tools, but worth the effort for a test.

Drstrangefart

Yeah, I had already tried the same thing with wood plugs. If you had one of those that went all the way through the blank, you could set it where you turned into the side and expose some CRAZY pattern. I had been looking for pearl-like inserts just like those after looking at the railing on an old pool table and never found a good one. I was gonna turn some Corian to do that on a near future project.

wiset1

Yeah, I had already tried the same thing with wood plugs. If you had one of those that went all the way through the blank, you could set it where you turned into the side and expose some CRAZY pattern. I had been looking for pearl-like inserts just like those after looking at the railing on an old pool table and never found a good one. I was gonna turn some Corian to do that on a near future project.

You could probably buy a brass tube and fill it with PR mixed with Pearl-ex for that look. Wouldn't be like Paua or anything, but trial and error could result in some pretty cool teaching tools.

Mapster

The brass is very smooth on the polyresin. How does the polyresin cut? I know lots of acrylics melt and it gets awful messy

Drstrangefart

You could probably buy a brass tube and fill it with PR mixed with Pearl-ex for that look. Wouldn't be like Paua or anything, but trial and error could result in some pretty cool teaching tools.

Just use an old 7mm Slimline tube! There's an idea worth looking into! You could just leave the tube around it, and have a cool brass highlight around it which leads to HOW'D YOU DO THAT?

Drstrangefart

Yeah, I am just starting to mess with some of that. I am just not too familiar with the way it cuts

Just do the usual with a new material. Go slow, light cuts, sharp tools. Sometimes you'll encounter a brittle spot that may or may not break out. It's a plastic. Before you know it, you'll have it down pat. It polishes up as well as acrylic, too.

Mapster

I have turned it (woodchuck), I just haven't really tried cutting the blank like the scallops or anything like that. That is what I am interested in, you cant do that with normal acrylic very well. Maybe a bandsaw would help...

Drstrangefart

It's been my experience with PR that it responds pretty well to CA. Sometimes unpredictable. I cut all of my PR on a bandsaw and when the bandsaw was down, on a table saw. It'll probably treat you better than acrylic, but I've cut plenty of acrylic on bandsaws with no troubles, too.

wiset1

The brass is very smooth on the polyresin. How does the polyresin cut? I know lots of acrylics melt and it gets awful messy

As long as you keep the tools moving you should be fine. If you stay in one area too long it MAY generate heat. As noted in the post in the Advanced Pen Turning thread, the PR took a while to turn due in part to the nature of PR. I didn't want the blank to blow.

bitshird

Nice looking inset, I've seen Leeljp From Japan, now in Mississippi do one with Solder and it was a very pretty pen, it may be in his photo album.
There's a lot you can do with small brass tubing, drill all the way through the blank use a drill that is kind of tight. and glue and turn, neat pen, easy to turn with a sharp skew or Carbide tool, and you got a masterpiece, for penny's.

wiset1

Nice looking inset, I've seen Leeljp From Japan, now in Mississippi do one with Solder and it was a very pretty pen, it may be in his photo album.
There's a lot you can do with small brass tubing, drill all the way through the blank use a drill that is kind of tight. and glue and turn, neat pen, easy to turn with a sharp skew or Carbide tool, and you got a masterpiece, for penny's.

I had a look at his stuff and that segmented pen with the inserts looks amazing. To think, that was done back in 2009...why has nobody else done this? Seems like it's a unique enough style that would scream creativity. Hell, I'll bring it back...just need some tubes. Give me some time:biggrin:

Last edited:

wiset1

Thanks guys...now lets see what others can come up with! The ideas are out there, lets blow people away with creativity.

Top Bottom