A Mokume Gane Fountain Pen: A Guild Submission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

This Custom Mokume Gane Fountain pen below constituted my submission to the Guild. Thanks for looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Custom Mokume Gane Fountain Pen.jpg
    Custom Mokume Gane Fountain Pen.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 946
  • Custom Mokume Gane Fountain Pen_3.jpg
    Custom Mokume Gane Fountain Pen_3.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 542
  • Custom Mokume Gane Fountain Pen_1.jpg
    Custom Mokume Gane Fountain Pen_1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 675
  • Custom Mokume Gane Fountain Pen_2.jpg
    Custom Mokume Gane Fountain Pen_2.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 741
  • Pre Patina Application.jpg
    Pre Patina Application.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 735

edstreet

The Application Pen

While not a requirement, we suggest that you not show and discuss the application pen in a public forum beforehand. Previous publicity of a piece of work will hamper the anonymity of the work during the judging process.

Not sure this pen would qualify.

To apply for membership, you will need to provide us with evidence of your level of work, a master-piece writing instrument you have made. This could be a new pen design you have created, a new technique you have brought to pen making, something taken to a new level of perfection, or something done in a very artistic way. We would like to see your pen that is not only new but also beautiful (and, of course, functional). Please notice the repeated use of the word 'new'.

While the pen does look good it also does not seem guild worthy from what I read here.

wizard

The Application Pen

While not a requirement, we suggest that you not show and discuss the application pen in a public forum beforehand. Previous publicity of a piece of work will hamper the anonymity of the work during the judging process.

To apply for membership, you will need to provide us with evidence of your level of work, a master-piece writing instrument you have made. This could be a new pen design you have created, a new technique you have brought to pen making, something taken to a new level of perfection, or something done in a very artistic way. We would like to see your pen that is not only new but also beautiful (and, of course, functional). Please notice the repeated use of the word 'new'.
While the pen does look good it also does not seem guild worthy from what I read here.

Hi Ed! You seeped up again from the.. the... :eek:....oh well... somewhere..:biggrin:
Ummmm....Ed.....I hate to break it to you...but I think the fact of the matter is that it's already been accepted by the guild. :biggrin: Thanks for doing your due diligence....

wizard

The Application Pen

Hi Ed! You seeped up again from the.. the... :eek:....oh well... somewhere..:biggrin:
Ummmm....Ed.....I hate to break it to you...but I think the fact of the matter is that it's already been accepted by the guild. :biggrin: Thanks for doing your due diligence....

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for posting this one Doc. I hope to someday, make such a masterpiece :biggrin: :wink: Congratulations to you and, I believe the guild board members made a good decision. Now, let the parade continue!!:biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

Ed, we all have the right to an opinion, it's just yours is completely out of line, Have you ever seen a post you like?
The Application Pen

ottotroll

Edstreet... why is he so bitter? It cannot be fulfilling to be that way. I suggest that people should pray that he finds the inner peace that must be so elusive for him.

On the subject, though, the pen is magnificent!

turncrazy43

Doc, congrats on the acceptance and the pen. Well deserved. I always look forward to seeing the pens you post and only wish I could be half as creative and skillful.

Pete275

Congrats Doc on your getting into the guild. Its long overdue. As for Ed Street, if you spent as much time creating things like Doc's pen you'd have less time to look at the world through your murcky glasses. Don't get why you can find anything positive to say about anything?????Just saying!
Wayne

Timebandit

There is is!! Although, i already saw it, i slipped over to the guild after Skip mentioned it :rolleyes:, but the pictures are much larger here and this pen is beautiful! I like the twist pattern of this one better than the straight one of your other pen. That twist is just super sharp! The contrasts between the layers is astonishing. I love this pen Doc! Guess i need to start saving for some Demascus :biggrin:

Edit: I also see you did a great job of keeping the twist pattern lined up from cap too barrel to front section! Even the finial! Great Job!

Last edited:

wizard

Thank you !!

Thank you all for the kind words but there is more to this pen than just an submission of an object of art and admission to a group.

When I look at it...... I have a flood of happy memories of IAP members that I met or have talked to on the phone. I can't even begin to name all the people all the people who have mentored me to get to this point...

Individuals that helped me to overcome the fear of using and working with metals and metal lathes..

The most prominent memory that stands out is having a cup of coffee in Austin, Texas looking forward to the day to spend with a friend and mentor, a TimeBandit, named Justin Short in Austin who gave me the gift of his precious time..weekends..who patiently (very patiently) taught me how to make kitless pens...Justin...thank you.:)

That pen represents a connection with all of you.

Thank you!

Doc:)

Top Bottom