Modified Slims

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Timebandit

Timebandit

Here are a couple of modified Slimlines i made a while back. this is my second and third attempt.

All comment welcome

Thanks for looking

First is a Figured Ramon Stump. This was my personal pen,but i have already lost it :(
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Next is a Black and White Ebony i made for one of my wifes friends.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 734
  • DSC_00052.jpg
    DSC_00052.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 719
  • DSC_000822.jpg
    DSC_000822.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 710
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 721
  • DSC_00112.jpg
    DSC_00112.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 715
  • DSC_00122.jpg
    DSC_00122.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 716
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 716
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Very nice. I've never attempted one of those. It makes a great looking pen.. I really like the ebony.. Nicely Done.

G1Pens

Both look nice. I like the look of one piece slimlines. It really shows off the wood. Not crazy about twisting the nib, but I think its worth it for the look you get

Timebandit

Very nice. I've never attempted one of those. It makes a great looking pen.. I really like the ebony.. Nicely Done.

Thanks Mark. They are quite easy. Check out Russ Fairfeilds page to learn how. Thats where i learned it from. What a great guy.

Both look nice. I like the look of one piece slimlines. It really shows off the wood. Not crazy about twisting the nib, but I think its worth it for the look you get

Thanks Gary. I wont make another slimeline with a center band. Just love the way it looks without it and like you said, you really get to show off a piece of wood. These are good for those slim 5/8 blanks or even just a little smaller. You dont need much material for this. And im not a fan of twisting the nib either, but i can make the exception in this case.

PenPal

Cooee Justin,

Too fine for me but sure as those two pens are beauties from a detached point of view they are smooth, sleek like Salukis or Greyhounds are in the animal world and scream class finishing with delightful colour. Both pens true colour.

Tremendous colouring in such thin pens sure great to pull that detail that you have with magnificent blanks.

Kind regards Peter.

Timebandit

Cooee Justin,

Too fine for me but sure as those two pens are beauties from a detached point of view they are smooth, sleek like Salukis or Greyhounds are in the animal world and scream class finishing with delightful colour. Both pens true colour.

Tremendous colouring in such thin pens sure great to pull that detail that you have with magnificent blanks.

Kind regards Peter.

Thanks peter. I think this is the first time i have been on the receiving end of one of your posts and i have to admit it feels really good to have someone speak of my work this way. I always here people say that when you post about there pens, and i always wondered what it felt like.

Thanks you my good man. You just made my day.

Justin

Timebandit

I have a question; how do you grasp the nib and pull it out when it is time to change the cartridge? Your pens are great.

Im right handed,so i grasp the nib between my thumb and my forefinger on my left hand with the nib pointing up( clip pointing down ) grasp the body firmly with my right hand and gently work the nib out of the end of the barrel. You have to be careful here because the wood at the end isnt supported by the brass tube when you pull the nib out. The lower brass tube comes out with the nib.

DurocShark

Careful sanding of the inside of the upper tube is sometimes necessary to let the tiny amount of grip you get on the nib be enough to take it apart.

The few I've sold in that style, I told the buyers to use a jar gripper. Everybody's got one of those sheets of rubber somewhere.

Your finishes look outstanding, as do your pens. Excellent work!

its_virgil

Or shorten the upper tube so it is just long enough to grab the transmission...about half of its total length. Less surface area on the shorter tube means less friction and easier removal.

Also, a perfume pen tube will just fit over the slimline tube so the lower part of the barrel can be fitted with a piece of the perfume pen tube for a stronger lower barrel.

I have an article on my website on how to make the one piece slimline along with other slimline modifications and other pen making articles.
http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Careful sanding of the inside of the upper tube is sometimes necessary to let the tiny amount of grip you get on the nib be enough to take it apart.

The few I've sold in that style, I told the buyers to use a jar gripper. Everybody's got one of those sheets of rubber somewhere.

Your finishes look outstanding, as do your pens. Excellent work!

jfoh

I make my version of this pen with a short brass tube glued into the lower part of the pen. Well to be honest I take a brass tube and cut it so it is only 3/4" long to get more pens per tube out of my supply of tubes. Call me frugal, cheap or what ever if you like. The regular slimline brass tube fits inside of the brass tube perfectly. I was afraid that just the lower wood area, without a brass tube glued into it, would be too thin to last. The wood is very thin and without some tube to make it stronger may split over time.

Top Bottom