Modified Slimline Explained

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

Status
Not open for further replies.

splinter99

I made another tonight in red mallee burl with a macasser ebony centerband.. the second photo may help explain how its done..
Finish is ca/blo..buffed with ren wax and tsw

200781912737_rmb1.jpg

20078191294_rmb2.jpg

thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thanks Harold, I think I understand. when you are turning the upper tube, do you place a tube in the blank along with the glued tube to stabilize the wood, then remove it after your finished with the finish? thats a great pen and your finish is perfect.

Laurie

splinter99

Thanks Laurie..I turn them round seperately..get the ends squared up, then put them together to get the two mating ends to match up and the shape right..then I sand the whole thing..then take them back apart to finish them

Texatdurango

Very nice looking pen, probably the nicest slimline I have seen. Makes me want to go out and try one myself.

Thanks for sharing the "how to" tip.

George

ahoiberg

good job harold, those are my favorite mods to do... a great way to make a normal slim look different. i think don did an article explaining this for one of his local woodturning newsletters, if he's peering, he might offer it to some others... i think it was don at least.

its_virgil

I write an article, "The Penturner's Corner", each month for More Woodturning, www.fholder.com/Woodturning/woodturn.htm I did several articles on modifying slimlies back in the winter/spring
There was an excellent thread on this pen: http://tinyurl.com/yrk5yw and another excellent thread that Russ started can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/24zdf2

do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />good job harold, those are my favorite mods to do... a great way to make a normal slim look different. i think don did an article explaining this for one of his local woodturning newsletters, if he's peering, he might offer it to some others... i think it was don at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom