A modernized Reynolds Rocket

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

I was just having some fun in the shop. I bought this Reynolds rocket pen for around $100 at a show several years ago. It's the first USA ball point pen and made in 1888 I think. They sold thousands but it was a total flop, was supposed to last 15 yrs with ink but rarely lasted a day before it all leaked into your pocket :biggrin:. Kinda like a skiprat pen :tongue:

Anyhow what I really loved was the capless cap feature. It's a real bugger to pull off. Mine slides nice and easy just like the original but it has a bit of slop and doesn't stay completely tight when in open mode like the original. I certainly have deep respect for the people that had to hand machine every one of these back then.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 320
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Cheeky sod!!!:mad:

Now go check your history dates and names!!!

As usual, you are confused !!:tongue:

:biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Btw, that pen looks so blunt nosed that youd have to hold it perfectly vertical to get it to work. :laugh:

Ok......now we have got the insults out of the way...:tongue:

NPGJ....:biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jeff, just pulling your chain buddy..:wink:

I like that slider cap design. Pretty clever. I'm confused though, because if you pull it back to expose the refill, what happens if you hold the slide while writing? Does the nib disappear if you press too hard.?
Maybe if the slidey bit was threaded.....same lips as your drawing to end movement each way....mmmmm...

Im back at work from tomorrow..:frown: but watch this space...:biggrin:

workinforwood

It would close if you just pressed down hard with fingers, but if you hold the pen proper in your hand it's not bad. The slider cap will turn though while writing which is a bit odd. I think your idea of threading it as well would be a good improvement. The original pen can't be refilled either, in mine I added threading. The original needed to be fully sealed because the inside of the body doubles as ink holder. They advertise it as refillable but it's a lie.

Top Bottom