Mirrored Bands of Banded Ivory Segments!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

So for my first pen of 2012 I present the mirrored bands of banded ivory. Not an overly difficult concept, but rather elegant when finished. I will say that the most difficult part of this pen is turning two different materials of different density. The banded Ivory wanted to strip off much quicker than the aluminum so I had to take my time and try to level it out with different tools. While it looks like a smooth transition you can feel a little lift on each of the accents which gives a nice feel to the pen. Oh yeah...finals were turned as well:biggrin: Hope everyone enjoys

6615423345_cc8b6a19ea_z.jpg

6615422083_2993098031_z.jpg

Some of the work...Aluminum ribbons...very odd :biggrin:

6615417831_6e0f42d0bd_z.jpg

*As always you can see larger images on either my IAP Gallery or my Flickr site which are both linked below!

Happy New Year!!!:biggrin:

wiset1

Thanks guys! Not exactly to the standard of my other segmented pen, but I think it has a silent beauty about it.

StephenM

So you drilled each piece individually and then came back and glued the tube and everything together at the same time?

Looks very nice!

wiset1

So you drilled each piece individually and then came back and glued the tube and everything together at the same time?

Looks very nice!

After working with the thicker aluminum on the knife concept pens I knew this would heat up and run the risk of the CA failing on me. With that in mind I made sure to square everything for a perfect fit and then drill it out...test the fit a second time, make my mark on the inside of the first segment and glue. From there I started adding my segments...

Hope that helps.

eldee

That's a good looking pen! What speed do you turn your "mixed material" blanks at, and What tool works best for you? Have you tried epoxy in place of CA?
Keep 'em coming.

wiset1

That's a good looking pen! What speed do you turn your "mixed material" blanks at, and What tool works best for you? Have you tried epoxy in place of CA?
Keep 'em coming.

I ordered some epoxy the other day and it should be here in a day or two since I refused to pay the price WC wanted. To answer the other questions...I run my lathe full out when turning aluminum like this. The slower speeds run the risk of the tool catching...or at least that's the way I look at it:rolleyes: I also use my gouge for the bulk of the work since the skew doesn't really seem to do much with thick aluminum like this. I end up finishing things off with the skew, but the bulk is the gouge...

Good luck

wiset1

Thanks Martin! I normally do segmenting directly as a blank and then drill, but this aluminum is so thick it really gives me problems generating and holding heat. This was the way to do it. I might do one more of these in a black just for good measure, but I have another pen I'm working on that's a priority.

Remember the picture of the Mont Blanc pen in the box? Well that had given me the idea of casting thick aluminum in jet black PR. I tried it and the aluminum did not stick to the PR worth a darn so I didn't get back to trying it another way. Its good to see just how it would turn out and yours turned out perfect. I love the shine you have on the aluminum. Now I am going to have another try at it .:biggrin:

wiset1

Remember the picture of the Mont Blanc pen in the box? Well that had given me the idea of casting thick aluminum in jet black PR. I tried it and the aluminum did not stick to the PR worth a darn so I didn't get back to trying it another way. Its good to see just how it would turn out and yours turned out perfect. I love the shine you have on the aluminum. Now I am going to have another try at it .:biggrin:

Yeah, I had been waiting to see yours, but it never came so I figured I would jump on it. It's not quite as cool as the MB, but it is a start. Funny thing about the shine...you can work through the pads and it's still dull, but you put that plastic polish on and it shines up like a mirror. I tried it on the Knife concept pen and it polished both the finish and the aluminum...couldn't get past that so I put it back to a satin finish.:biggrin:

wiset1

Now you're talking. Nice clean segments. Pretty pen!

Thanks Chuck,

I want to try an all aluminum one like you did, but all I have is that 1/8th inch stuff so I might segment in some brass sheets and rods to add size and then hope for the best. I think I'll have to use epoxy for that though due to the heat issue when drilling.

wiset1

Thanks again guys...I just need to find something different to do design wise and this was just kind of out there as something to do until I get around to the other ones.

Focushere

(I ordered some epoxy the other day and it should be here in a day or two since I refused to pay the price WC wanted.)

For those of you that use epoxy....Home Depot sells it in 4oz bottles for about 15.00 dollars. That's 8 oz. for the two. Loctite is the brand.

wiset1

(I ordered some epoxy the other day and it should be here in a day or two since I refused to pay the price WC wanted.)

For those of you that use epoxy....Home Depot sells it in 4oz bottles for about 15.00 dollars. That's 8 oz. for the two. Loctite is the brand.

Having never used epoxy I wasn't sure what I was looking for, but all the epoxy I saw at The Home Depot said Amber Yellow and I wanted to find something that dried clear. I ended up picking up the System Three 5 Minute Epoxy, 1/2 Pint that has a Part A and a Part B. I wasn't sure if this was any different than the System Three T88 Epoxy...? Either way, it should be here today.

Mike D

Tim what grade aluminium are you using? I wonder if you've tried 2011 T3 aluminium since it's the softest of the aluminum alloys and should be easier on the turning and drilling tools.

firewhatfire

Well that is a very elegant looking pen. I was going to ask about predrilling but that question has already been asked and answered. Do you believe the the epoxy will hold it secure enough to drill after glue up. I also disagree as to the same standard as your other segmented pieces, I find that straight lines are harder than scallops thus more difficult.

Phil

wiset1

Tim what grade aluminium are you using? I wonder if you've tried 2011 T3 aluminium since it's the softest of the aluminum alloys and should be easier on the turning and drilling tools.

Not sure really...just picked it out of the bin at Home Depot and it said 1/8th inch 1 x 36 Aluminum. It's what I have so I guess it's what I'll use:biggrin:

Looks great Tim! Seeing just the one half wasn't enough for me. I think a black one would look amazing too! Go for it!

Jonathon,...yeah I think the black would look sharp as well with an extra band or two of aluminum on each barrel with smaller segments of material. You know I'm just working up to an all aluminum pen :biggrin:

scotian12

Thank you Tim for this elegant concept pen. It gives us an opportunity to use other materials that we would not ordinary use. The concept is simple and once we master it then the next sept up the evolution ladder is much easier. I think a black pen would be just great with the alum bands. Darrell Eisner

redwd707

Super sick pen, Tim! I think 3 bands per barrel is perfect but thats just me. You always seem to take it to another level. It does deserve an upgraded nib tho. Throw a Bock on there! I take it you replaced the bottom accent piece as well?

wiset1

Super sick pen, Tim! I think 3 bands per barrel is perfect but thats just me. You always seem to take it to another level. It does deserve an upgraded nib tho. Throw a Bock on there! I take it you replaced the bottom accent piece as well?

Yeah John, I turned both of the end caps with the banded ivory. I've replaced all accents in the past on the Majestic, but it's a real pain so the finals are good enough. I also plan to buy some of the #6 Bocks to upgrade ALL of my fountain pens. I don't use them, but it would be nice to have them on the pen if I ever sell them or give them away. I see Bock has a new ink flow design on the new nibs...

daveeisler

Tim, I'm late to the party, it is great looking, question, do you sand at any point and if so, how did you avoid staing the ivory with aluminum dust,
Thanks Dave

wiset1

Looks great on the front page :biggrin:

What...wait a second:confused: Well, okay then...That's pretty cool!

Tim, I'm late to the party, it is great looking, question, do you sand at any point and if so, how did you avoid staing the ivory with aluminum dust,
Thanks Dave

Oddly enough I did this like I did everything else. started the sanding at 400 then 600 grit before running through the pads and while the aluminum dust was present it came right off when I started to wet sand. By the 12000 pad I was still getting the black slurry and the aluminum was rather dull, but when I used the plastic polish it removed the minor residue and polished the bands like mirrors...go figure.

wiset1

See... Told you that you deserve front page with your creation!!

:biggrin: Ha - ha

Yeah, my decoder ring made it in the mail today and it said "Be sure to drink your ovaltine."

All joking aside, it's a pretty cool feeling, but there are others more deserving on the forum I'm sure.

Thanks

wiset1

I would like to thank Ed and Dawn for making this possible along with Home Depot for the pain in the butt thick aluminum, ha ha ha.

Top Bottom