Madison Cedar, Ivory, and Horn Project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jmbaker79

jmbaker79

Where do we even start with this one! This is the latest project I have been tackling! Sorry to the two IAP members who are waiting on me! You know who you are! :rolleyes: This guy will ship out today, and I wanted to take a minute to share it with everyone. As a brief description we have, drumroll please.....A full size statesman, plated in Rhodium. This guys is dressed in Buffalo Horn, Pre Ban elephant Ivory, and a piece of Cedar of Lebanon from James Madison's Montpelier Vermont Estate. Historic Cedar courtesy of the good folks at Exotics, complete with COA from Historical Woods of America, no photo but I promise Its there. It took an army to pull this together btw....Sir Mike Redburn custom cast the Finial inserts for me from sterling Silver. I worked up the artwork, and He reworked it im sure, and turned these out for me in a matter of days! I couldnt ask for a better fit as far as they went either! Eric Rasmussen, Sylvanite, did the laser engraving on the Cap, and the box lid, Yesterday at that! Cant say this was the smoothest project I have ever tackled! After turning, ca finish, and polish on the body, I wasnt happy with it, and took a parting tool to it :eek: I cut off the ivory and horn section from the back, and replaced them, carefully! Returned and finished. I was scared to death to crack the ivory! I drilled maybe .25" holes, and filled them with a round file out to size. I sanded them down on a belt sander to roughly round, and of an appropriate size before taking the r4 carbide to them. I will say that this combo of horn and ivory takes some serious patience, and is not very forgiving. The horn is compacted hair, which endgrain wise doesnt want to make a smooth glueing surface for segmenting. Paired with the grain of the ivory, was a challenge to get clean segments! They are close to clean! This was requested 3 weeks ago with a due date of the 25th. It is a fathers day present for someone traveling to see their father on the 25th. I am honored to have been a part of something so special, and to work with such unique materials. Thanks to all envolved, and Your C&C are welcome!

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 245
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg