Lost in Time (over 150 parts)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bruce119

bruce119

I am calling this one lost in time I think I counted over 150 parts. It is built on a Jr Gent 1 that I got form Smitty37. My photography still needs improvement. Just haven't had time to master the new camera. I gave you some close-ups to look at I hope you enjoy. I figure I spent about a week building this. The real nail bitting time comes when it is time to cast. I think it turned out fairly well.

Questions, comments and opinions always welcome.

01-3.jpg

03-2.jpg

04-2.jpg

05-2.jpg

06-1.jpg

07.jpg

Thanks for looking
Bruce

ldb2000

Hey Bruce , Miss America called and wants her watch back !!! :eek::wink::biggrin:
Looks great , lots of little parts to trap air bubbles , ya did a great job !

Caden_Hrabak

I WANT TO BUY THIS BLANK FROM SOMEONE. I dont have casting materials but i would totoatly buy one of these from someone i love steampunk art soooo much.

I love this pen soooo much man seriously

renowb

WOW! That is a fantastic job! I really like it. I like it a lot!

OKLAHOMAN

Bruce absolutely beautiful, just wish you would have uses a higher end set of components. But that is my opinion and not a reflection on your great work.

Padre

Wow. What a nice pen. What did you paint the tubes with?

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
Great looking pen Bruce. But what camera do you use to get such a great display and detail. A pro at work in both if you ask me.

bitshird

Bruce, this is an amazing pen, the way you put so many pieces with some of the gears almost meshing is awesome, I haven't been commenting on the Steampunk pens, but I had to say how brilliantly you pieced this one together.

David Keller

That's really nice. Like Ken said, I really like the way the gears mesh together like a real working watch would.

Rfturner

looks great, I have only really liked two so far one had very little and then there is yours. You did an amazing job on it.

JimMc7

Beautiful blank and great work turning! Your attention to detail in meshing the gears is outstanding.

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Bruce, Seems that every blank you make these days is over the edge and this is no exception, absolutely fantastic!

Some of the watch pens floating around lately seem to be using dirty old watch parts but your's seem to be from brand new shiny watches!

So, what are you doing, taking apart brand new watches or just taking the time to clean the individual parts before assembly?

burgerman

Absolutely beautiful! You packed that thing full! This is the best pen of this type I've seen. As others have mentioned, really love the way you have the gears meshing with each other. You must have the hands of a surgeon, and incredible patience. Outstanding job!

bruce119

Thanks for all the great comments. Just to answer a few of the latest questions. Tools of the trade and glue is simple medium CA and a tooth pick. This particular watch was from my mother-in-law. It was kept in the original box that is why I had the brass name BULOVA & MISS AMERICA I was fortunate it was in the box for some reason and was the perfect fit. I used every last piece of that watch in the cap rite down to the pinions screws and chassis. The pinions I ground flat and the chassis I ground thin so it would fit. Some of the screws I had to grind a flat spot on so they did not sit too high. There are a few more tricks I learned along the way. I even polished some of the parts that where tarnished. I was an old school printer for 45 years so I have an eye for detail. I ran just about every mid-size and printing press and repaired them I also done old school 4 color prepress prep stripping. I also have advance modeling experience in detail model trains and air planes. I also got a nice big magnifying glass :rolleyes:

You have to remember that most of the watches and I have a bunch are very old vintage antiques. That is why they are worn looking. As time permits I will making some I have about 6 ready to cast but time is hard to come by. I have way too many projects going on.

I do enjoy making these they are a lot of fun. I take great pride in the work I do always have. It gives me a lot of satisfaction hearing the good comments. And I am always willing to help just time has been tight lately.

Thanks
Bruce

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Chose wisely

Bruce absolutely beautiful, just wish you would have uses a higher end set of components. But that is my opinion and not a reflection on your great work.

Hey I think he picked a great set of components....and did just one he-- of a job on that blank

Top Bottom