Kitless Tru-Stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

I have here today a kitless trustone pen. I discovered that this stuff does NOT like to be threaded. At least with the tools I have. I borrowed the clip from a "classic" pen. Comments welcome.

Attachments

• kitlesstrustoneclosed.jpg
    kitlesstrustoneclosed.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 399
  • kitlesstrustone.jpg
    kitlesstrustone.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Nicely done. I really like the color. On difficult to thread materials I usually make an ebonite insert. Saves a lot of aggravation.

hewunch

Thanks for all the kind words. I love the color too. I am very pleased how it turned out despite the aggrivation.

Bruce, if you were to read this. Help me understand why you chose ebonite to make an insert over one of the lest costly materials. I would love to know if there is some sort of advantage I am not thinking about. Thanks!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the kind words. I love the color too. I am very pleased how it turned out despite the aggrivation.

Bruce, if you were to read this. Help me understand why you chose ebonite to make an insert over one of the lest costly materials. I would love to know if there is some sort of advantage I am not thinking about. Thanks!
I use ebonite because it threads real easily and a while ago I got a very good deal on a whole bunch of rods. Also has some snob appeal amoung pen aficionados, but other easy to thread materials would work fine. More important is the idea of an insert.

bitshird

Hans, great looking pen,Charoite is a bear, I have a 2 LB piece of the Non Pliable material, I made one pen out of it and that was enough for me!!!

Kaspar

Very nice! That would be the Charoite?

ExoticBlanks has it listed as slightly harder than the usual trustone. What kind of trouble did you have?

I am making two Trustone Kitless pens myself, one from Chilean Lapis and one Larimar whose look I really like. I've had no trouble threading the Larimar and it's one of the softest Trustones. We'll see about the Chilean Lapis tomorrow. It seems to be as hard as the Arizona Jade, so I've got the Trustone hardness spectrum covered.

hewunch

Kaspar, you would be correct, it is charoite. when I tapped it after I put the threads on the outside (12mm triple tap) it busted part of my threads.

Last edited:

Kaspar

Kaspar, you would be correct, it is charoite. when I tapped it after I put the threads on the outside (12mm triple tap) it busted part of my threads.

I will be performing that very operation soon. Can I ask what tap size you were using? Did you have a M12 tapped piece of Delrin on to support it? How thin was the wall you tried to tap?

The time you save may be mine! :biggrin:

hewunch

I did not put my support ring on it. I did use the 12mm triple start on the outside. I was using a 3/8x24 for the inside.

Kaspar

I did not put my support ring on it. I did use the 12mm triple start on the outside. I was using a 3/8x24 for the inside.

Hmmm, that's what I used on my first, but I didn't like the slop in the fit so I've got a 3/8 NEF 32 tap and die set on the way. I'll wait till it gets here, which I was going to do anyway, but now for sure.

Thanks, Hans. Great job seeing that pen through to the end.

hewunch

I like the 3/8 24 because the sections I got from Elliot Landes fit it. So if I get in a bind, I can just put that on and call it a day.

drgoretex

Wow - kitless TruStone! Nicely done. That is a challenge indeed. I'm not surprised about the threading difficulties. I've never tried to thread TruStone, but given the feel of it when turning it, I would expect that it would be a little crumbly under tap and die.

So, all that much better an accomplishment - a beautiful pen indeed!

Ken

hewunch

Thanks everyone! It was challenging in more than one way. If I were to do it again, I would make a snap cap, that way, no threads.

Top Bottom