Jigsaw Puzzle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Ken Nelsen and I have been working together on this concept for months. He chose to be the "guinea pig" and submitted his pen to the PMG and was selected for membership. Congratulations, Ken! Here's a link to Ken's version. http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=57

Here's my version. BEFORE:

20077174423_In%20the%20beginning.jpg

In the end.

20077174516_New%20Jigsaw%20Sedona-L.jpg

View 2

20077174546_New%20Jigsaw%20Sedona%20View2-L.jpg

Thank you for looking as especially to those who comment.

I was fortunate enough to get to see and hold this pen at the Virginia IAP picnic last weekend. The pictures do not do it justice. The entire crowd was oohing and aahing when Lou brought it out (and rightly so too!).

Lou, you just keep raising that bar for the rest of us. For that I thank you sir!

btboone

Lots of fun to assemble too. The pieces lock when you try to assemble them in the wrong order. I had that issue a few years back when I did my first puzzle pen with cut pieces. It looks like the bigger tubes helps that issue.

TBone

Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel
<br />Lou, you just keep raising that bar for the rest of us. For that I thank you sir!

That bar is so high, I can't even see it with binoculars any more.

Beautiful pen Lou and great execution.

Congrats to Ken

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Of course your execution looks flawless and the resulting product impeccable!!

I wonder if you will find a market in people who like to do jigsaw puzzles? Of course, collectors will be interested - keep me informed on your "feedback", please!!

Good luck with it!![:p][:p][:p]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks to all who have posted kind and generous words! This design was a bear for both Ken and me. Ken had to take my 2-D concept and convert it to 3-D plus work out the dimensions and account for bevelling each piece as the OD for each piece is greater than the ID. The assemby process is a bit convoluted, requiring some pieces to be positioned from the outside in and others from the inside out. Assembly required basic setup using scotch tape, followed by tightening and aligning using elastic bands, then followed up with tiny spot attachments with CA. I reamed the inside of this blank, then saturated the inside with CA such that I could leave out the tubes and simply glue in the components.

This pen is VERY makeable if (and that's a big IF) you follow the instructions. 36 individual, non-duplicated shapes, 20 different woods, $55...A BARGAIN!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Wow! Talking about complexity of the pieces. Looks like you have your work "cut out" for you! Now is the time to "pick up the pieces" and "get it together." [:D] I am never ceased to be amazed at what you, and others, do in creativity!

Rmartin

Wow, that sure raises the bar for the next one seeking Guild membership. Glad I didn't send in a pen on the same week as Ken's. Congratulations!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Again, thanks for the kind words. There is no "tutorial" per se, as Ken Nelsen is now selling the kits which include a complete set of instructions. Follow the link in my original post to the kit on Ken's site.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
A few 'old-timers' on the site reminded me of how far we've come in puzzle pens. Let's see how many of them you remember.

Ryan Pastorek 9/14/06
200691451517_Puzzle-Pen.jpg

Me 7/19/05
200571622616_GratefulPieceOfAsh%20copy.jpg

Me 6/20/05
200562834022_JP1ViewA.jpg

Bruce Boone 2/10/05
2005210213151_puzzlepen.jpg

What a long strange trip it's been!

btboone

I did my original ones the way you are doing them now. They were very time consuming to put together and never did fit very well because of the small tubes and tight curvature. (I still have never made a kit pen other than the Euro!) My first couple also reflected the laser beam off the brass tube and cut back through the part, so I saw they would need nonreflective mandrels to laser them. Bigger and thinner tubes of a fountain pen would definitely help allow the parts to fit tighter. I stopped developing them when I saw how much time they were going to take to make. I'm glad somebody took the time to do it. It's a nice look.

My original concept was to use a dark and a light wood, so just 2 parts would have to be cut. I scaled the pieces so they could intermix continuously. As you know, it takes a lot of work to get the puzzle pieces to connect properly at the start/ stop line. Once the laser code is done, they are pretty straightforward. I revamped the code to cut out half the pieces and leave the other half standing as one continuous piece. This was an effort to save labor, but it ended up taking at least as long to make. I sold that particular one to a guy at a pen show. It was so much labor that I told him it was a one of a kind!

alxe24

As everyone said already. Congratulations for this magnificent pen. It looks fenomenal. I know I'll be getting one kit soon, that is a unique pen indeed?
Do you knkow if there is going to be available for a bigger kit gent, emperor?
Thanks for showing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom