I'm almost ashamed....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rcd567

Rcd567

I haven't done much in the way of pens yet this winter. Did do four the other day for my sister and brother-in-law. Simple Saturn pattern from Woodturningz.com.

Like I said, I'm almost ashamed to post these when I look at some of the stuff you guys do. I'm self taught, so hopefully I'll get better with practice.

fourpens_sm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smokey7385

You have nothing to be ashamed of. Your pens look fine. We all were newbies at one point.

If I can make a suggestion/comment; The thing that I try to concentrate on now is fit and finish. It really does not matter which kit you use as long as the fit and finish are spot on. In my opinion that is the most important aspect of penturning.

Keep at it, you're doing fine.

Last edited:

Bree

So what exactly is wrong with the pens?? They look great to me. That purple one reminds me of the 60's but I guess I better not talk about THAT!
:wink::wink::wink:

alphageek

Former Moderator
They look great to me.. The only recommendation I would have is I use the white painted tubes when I make the left blank (or paint the inside yourself). It really makes that one pop more.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
It is very hard to post photos of pens when comparing them to the advanced/custom pens we see on this site. However the majority of penmakers here produce excellent pens like the ones you presented for us to enjoy. The key is to realize we all start at the begining and work our way up. You will find most of us respect your efforts while offering support and critiques to help you imporove as you go. We have all traveled that path. Mike

SamThePenMan

Nice work. Don't be afraid to experiment. These look like the Streamline kits(it's been awhile so I'm not up to speed on what the names of the kits are from different venders). I would suggest when you do experiment with different shapes/styles for the turning, whether it be groves, bumps or whatever, try it with slim lines first, being as that they're they don't cost as much as the others it won't matter as much if it gets messed up! :) Just enjoy the turning and learn from your mistakes/successes. And please don't be afraid to post more photos!

Top Bottom