Hot air ballon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim Boyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Boyd

Kinda sorta[:eek:)] I need ya'll to help. What needs done different? Maybe a rounder top? How about the bottom? This was built with a baron kit. Let me know how to improve this idea [^]
balloonaSmall.jpg

balloonbSmall.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Seein's that Decatur hosts one of the best Hot Air balloon festivals in the US, I'll give it a shot LOL. It probably needs to be more bulbous in the center segment, and perhaps starting up the top segment about 1/4-1/3 of the way.

Is the wire/basket also inlaid? Or burned in? That probably needs to be a little shorter too, as the basket doesn't hang down that far--that might be what throws one off when looking at it, as it looks off balance somehow.

Its a FANTASTIC idea and Boy--- are you getting the hang of it! Have you thought of using Dymondwood in certain colors to do the glue ups or alternating it with a more solid color? Like I said before--- I want one of these blanks once you're satisfied with your design AND ready to sell some!!!

I hope you do'nt take any of this as 'ugly' critique. Just putting in my comments, from a strictly non=professional standpoint, as its the OTHEr half that turns the pens, not me! LOL

oh! If you make the basket shorter (and it can be wider, or even go around the entire pen with a basketweave??? yes, adding to your work load lol), how about burning in some little people at the bottom, looking up at the balloon? Might be kinda cute! Or, even tree tops?

Gary Max

the basket---weave it yourself out of wicker----then inlay it----------or have Ken lazer engrave you a basket---he does great basket weave.

Great Idea!

I think you need a rounder top

For the bottom check out Mike's pen
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9669&SearchTerms=herring
BTW - this is where I got my idea on burning my inlays - Thanks Mike

Jim Boyd

My wife said to make the basket go all of the way around too. That would be easier and I could use wood instead of epoxy[;)]. Basket weave?[:p] That would be another challenge[:D] I'll try that and wait on laser or wood burning. That is cheating[:D] No offense intended to those the use those techniques. Just not my style. Yet!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom