Herringbone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

Status
Not open for further replies.

VisExp

Built the blank and turned this pen today.

Brazilian Cherry, Maple and Cherry Herringbone PSI Designer pen finished with CA/BLO

Your comment/critique is appreciated.

A question. The center band is mounted on a 7/32" tenon on the upper barrel. The center band is 12/32" long. If I had cut my upper blank 12/32" longer than the upper tube and then drilled a 5/32" deep hole in the lower end of the upper blank with a diameter slightly wider than that of the lower blank could I have made this pen without using the centerband?

2007103101233_herringbone1.jpg

200710310130_herringbone2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Comment: WOW!

Critique: .... .... ...

WOW!

Great work. I love it!

African Blackwood or darker desert ironwood would make a superb center band for that color combo.

ahoiberg

that's a stellar pen! nice job and you can ditch centerbands all you want. you'll see a lot of euros without them.

Firefyter-emt

That's an awesome pen! I sure hope you did not just start turning, because you put many of us to shame with that pen!

Just curious too, for those who ditch the CB, do you try to make it recess to cover the body like the CB or keep if flush? Also on those "Russlines" same basic idea, do you guys just make the cap wider and flat or do you try to countesink the cap over the body?

vick

Very nice pen, it looks fantastic. So how much CA is on your fingers after this one?
I have not done it with that particuliar kit but have with similiar ones and I see no reason you could not loose the center band. As a not with out the center band the outside measurement on that end is not critical and you can leave it a little bigger so the wooden "centerband" has more strength.
If you are going to leave the centreband off you might as well go all the way and do a custom final or a hidden clip for the top [:)]

sparhawk

That is a nice looking pen. Great work. I have made a few ueropean style without the centerband. Here is a pic of the last one i did for a friend. BUilt the blank the same length as the top would have been with the centerband and then turned it to the same size as the c.b. would have been. I also undercut from the edge to the center to give just a small recess for the bottom part to fit into.
<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2007102905758_alabama%20pen.jpg
<br />

VisExp

Thank you all for your kind words.

Firefyter-emt - I've turned about a dozen pens. I'm still the proverbial sponge soaking up all the info I can find. If this pen came out nice it is a testimony to a dash of beginners luck, a heap of knowledge I have gleaned from reading posts of this forum and a generous scoop of inspiration and motivation from seeing the beautiful works of art posted here on a daily basis [:)]

Vick - I managed to keep CA off my fingers. I did the glue up with Titebond. No clamps, just a rub joint. I went this route because Titebond is a lot cheaper and less messy than CA. As far as the custom finials or hidden clips, I still haven't figured those out but I'll work on it [:D]

Oh and I forgot to thank Jim Boyd, Ron Sardo, Ron McIntire and Mike Vickery for putting together this great tutorial which I followed:

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2006/segpenblanks.pdf

DaveM

Great looking pen. Well thought out design, and great execution.

I have seen several Europeans turned without centerbands. Some of the neatest went with the faux centerband look. They glued a segment of contrasting wood at the end of the blank, and let that stand in for the centerband. I have done it with acrylic sections, but not with wood yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom