Heat transferred image to holly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Penchill

Penchill

ab836a7c13ff1dfafdf53d54ed3a7e32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hmmmm .... would be nice to have a few more details about your method, please.

I like the look of the resulting blank.

OZturner

Nice looking Steampunk Pen Robert.
Excellent Burl Blank, with Heat Transfer, Beautifully Prepared, Positioned, and Applied.
Great Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Penchill

Hmmmm .... would be nice to have a few more details about your method, please.

I like the look of the resulting blank.

Picture taken of cousin's "classic" car with iPhone. Reverse printed on paper using laser printer. Heat transferred onto holly blank, turned to fit through a burl shell. Shell sanded to produce opening to show car. Copper border cut to fit. Transparent Gorilla Epoxy used to fill window (slowly turning it by hand until it set to keep it level).

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

Thanks for details. . I'll look up more about the process for heat transferal of the image.

Last edited:

Makereality

I have not seen images transferred done pens yet, well done. It seems to have to be laser printer toner, not just any ink jet etc. Words transfer fairly well with reverse images and my wife's curling iron as the heat source...lots of trials on remnants, did not show up well on dark wood for me. Then I simply dropped 70$ on one of the NEJE laser burners...and Building the rotary jig discussed in other posts. I probably will not be doing the heat transfer method any other as if not done well, this can undo a lot of good work on a nice pen. Your work is outstanding on this pen!

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

JohnU

Looks good. I started out with wild life images heat transferred on to slimline and comfort pens when I first began but eventually got away from it after I began messing with feathers. I used photo copied images applied with a hot iron. Then I would color them with watered down acrylic craft paint and clear with lacquer. The biggest downfall was finishing. I like a CA finish but CA ruins the heat transfer. There were a few time I used a ca finish over a spray dealer but it just took a lot of time with a day drying time on paint, then a day for the clear spray, then the ca. Light woods like maple worked very well.

Top Bottom