Hail to the Chief

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PTownSubbie

PTownSubbie

US Navy Chief emblem CNC engraved on a 308 cartridge.

I am very excited with the way this one turned out!!! This engraving will truly last a lifetime!

Comments requested.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• CNC-USNpen_closeup.jpg
    CNC-USNpen_closeup.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 434
  • CNC-USNpen_small.jpg
    CNC-USNpen_small.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 375
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JJturns

That is FANTASTIC! I would love to know some of the details of how you did it and what you used? I would also like to know if you would consider doing this type of work for a fee? Very impressive!

Jim

PTownSubbie

Looks great. Was it laser engraved and powder coated?

It was actually not laser engraved. It was engraved with a tool in my CNC. Haven't powder coated it either. I am a believer that the copper should be allowed to patina if that is what the recipient wants. They can clean it or let it turn colors....

You're getting pretty good at this stuff Fred. Nice layout and execution.

Thanks Bruce! That means a lot coming from you.... After all, you are to blame!!! :biggrin::eek:

Very sweet!!!! All you need is a star at the top of the anchor and my address. Enjoy your retirement shipmate!!

-Dave

That can be arranged Dave. I plan to make many different styles of these. I have a process down now to convert graphics and such so different designs should be possible. The hardest part was getting the alignment correctly! Did you know the cartridges are not a constant diameter?!

Too cool Fred. Glad to see this develop. Nice new hobby to have in retirement:biggrin: The pen looks great.

I am definitely having fun Chuck! I don't know how long I can last with doing this full time but we are surely trying!!

That is FANTASTIC! I would love to know some of the details of how you did it and what you used? I would also like to know if you would consider doing this type of work for a fee? Very impressive!

Jim

The cartridge is a Winchester 308 that was placed in my 4th axis of my CNC and the design was cut into the cartridge with my engraving tool. Multiple designs are possible. After it comes out of my CNC I buff it to remove any remaining brass particles.
The bullet is a real 30 caliber slug. It is drilled out to fit the Cross ballpoint refill and lead melted from the slug. It is then assembled.
Is that what you were looking for?

MIKL

that is amazing

does the engraving take long??

what sort of CNC machine do you have???

i would love to get one, there are a number of things on this list though

MIK

hard hat

very nice! have you considered powder coating before engraving? I know you don't like to so that the customer can allow the patina, but a blue coat could allow the blue and gold thing to show. I don't know how the small pieces of coating would hold up in the middle though. maybe some black paint into the engraved areas could work too.

either way, very nice and this is going to be a great success for you

Very cool Fred, nice work. how long does you program take to run on the casing? That detailed I imagine that you are using a pretty small tool so you run time has to be pretty long.

Mike

PTownSubbie

that is amazing

does the engraving take long??

what sort of CNC machine do you have???

i would love to get one, there are a number of things on this list though

MIK

The engraving takes about 30 minutes to complete. Can't go too fast as you will break your tools. DAMHIKT! They are not cheap when you break tools either.....

I have a Taig with a 4th axis so I can do rotary work. Possibilities are endless!!

Nice! I didn't know CNC can do such a small job.:eek:

You would be surprised how small you can get some of the bits. They have some bits that have a point of 0.003" :eek:! The hardest part is you can't cut deep or fast. That is not a problem with this project though.

very nice! have you considered powder coating before engraving? I know you don't like to so that the customer can allow the patina, but a blue coat could allow the blue and gold thing to show. I don't know how the small pieces of coating would hold up in the middle though. maybe some black paint into the engraved areas could work too.

either way, very nice and this is going to be a great success for you

Thanks for the idea! I may have to give some of these a try.....

Very cool Fred, nice work. how long does you program take to run on the casing? That detailed I imagine that you are using a pretty small tool so you run time has to be pretty long.

Mike

For this type of project it is mostly software driven. When you start working rotary, the process gets much more complex.....

Then you get into graphic conversions and vectorizing graphics....need to be a graphic designer along with a machinist all in one! Good thing my wife, Tina, does graphic design work!!

PWL

Fred
I'm with Dave. A star at the top would make a great keeper for me. If you are considering selling them,let me know. Hope you are enjoying your retirement.
Paul

CMCS P.W.Lint USN/RET

PTownSubbie

Fred
I'm with Dave. A star at the top would make a great keeper for me. If you are considering selling them,let me know. Hope you are enjoying your retirement.
Paul

CMCS P.W.Lint USN/RET

Very sweet!!!! All you need is a star at the top of the anchor and my address. Enjoy your retirement shipmate!!

-Dave

Well Paul and Dave, does this work for you? LOL!!

Been busy today with more designs but they are not pens so I won't post them here other than these couple as a tease.....

Attachments

• CNC-masterchief-cartridge-800.jpg
    CNC-masterchief-cartridge-800.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 104
  • CNCseniorchief-cartridge-800.jpg
    CNCseniorchief-cartridge-800.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 105

brownsfn2

omg. Those are even cooler. The photos make them look really good. Very nicely done. I will need to add cnc to my list after laser. :)

There is something missing from the Anchor. Oh yeah, a star and a shield instead of letters.

Very nice work Fred. What format are the graphics files? I may have to drop of some clip art for your collection.

I can work with anything pretty much Dave, it would be much appreciated!

Top Bottom