Freestyle losers thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
My first double closed end pen. A Cholla Cactus Bl/Tit. FP with Blue Lapis and Coffee Ground Inlay. There are only 5 of the original pen components in the pen (the tubes, the FP nib, the tip coupler, and the cap threads). I had to reinforce the ends of the Cholla with some scrap wood. The pen was turned on a wooden jamb chuck without the use of the tail stock for steadying once the Lapis was added.

I decided to take the contest as a challenge and was certain I could make the pen. I just had no idea how much fun and frustration would be involved. I was trounced by very skillful artists and next year my entry will be better because of the challenge.

Attachments

• CIMG4423.JPG
    CIMG4423.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 173
  • CIMG4421.JPG
    CIMG4421.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 192
  • CIMG4417.jpg
    CIMG4417.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 149

Brooks803

I'm bummed that I wasn't able to get in the shop to enter ANY of the contests! I doubt I could have done any better than what's already been shown anyhow.

MartinPens

Hans,
An amazing pen. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it in choice and combination of materials. I don't consider any of the entrants to be "losers" in any sense of the word. Great work. Thanks for sharing it.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

IPD_Mr

I agree, losers is not a name to label any of the pens that were entered. First of all they had the creativity to make something from parts that did not go together. There are many here on IAP that do not have that talent. It doesn't matter if you like the look of the pen or not. On some level this is kind of like figuring out a way to make a spark plug work in a diesel engine. The idea of this competition is great because it is a lesson in thinking outside of the box. This is the direction for anyone that is serious about selling pens and wanting to seperate themselves from the pack. Let's face it, all Sierras look the same without a blank on it. If you go to a craft show and there are five pen turners there and they all do the same kit pens, the only thing that seperates them from one another is blank choice, fit and finish. Now change one of those five to doing semi custom or custom designs. They will stand out from the other four IMHO.

Anyway all of these folks did a great job.

turbowagon

Mine was the Sierra-style fountain pen:

cellulose_acetate_sienna_fp1c.jpg

cellulose_acetate_sienna_fp2c.jpg

cellulose_acetate_sienna_fp3c.jpg

The threads are triple-start 10mm, the primary material is 1930s cellulose acetate, and secondary material is ebonite. The trim ring is brass. I used 2 10K sienna kits for this one, and ideally wanted to enter it in the "Frankenpen" contest, but it wasn't eligible due to being a fountain pen.

hewunch

Joe, your pen reminds me of the pen in this year's logo. Great work! And as a finalist in the Frankenpen competion.... I am glad fountain pens weren't allowed. :biggrin:

RichF

This was my entry into the Freestyle contest. I knew I was outclassed going in, but it was fun to complete.

This was kitless number 3 for me, and it is done in an Italian acrylic. The acrylic is semi translucent and really beautiful in person. My photography does not do the material justice--something I definitely need to work on.

With the design, I tried to focus on maintaining the pattern while masking the dark components. This was a lot of fun to make, and I look forward to doing more in the future.

Thanks to all the Bash organizers.

Attachments

• DSC03016_800x600.jpg
    DSC03016_800x600.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC03019_800x600.jpg
    DSC03019_800x600.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC03021_800x600.jpg
    DSC03021_800x600.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 100
Top Bottom