Four more... one save

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SuperDave

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperDave

Here are the latest. I was working on my Pen Exchanges and had a heck-of-a time with the bushings... time for new ones!

First Dye Job... After turning, I dyed the barrels. Didn't notice the lower barrel had swelled a bit until after finishing and assembling. May re-turn the lower barrel... since I discovered that the lower Cigar barrel fits the mandrel perfectly after the fittings are installed...:D If I can save this one from being a "Family Gift" it might make the trade deadline;)
Blue Curly Maple Cigar with Chrome

20081311550_IMG_0704-900C.jpg

Eucalyptus Cigar and Chrome. Got a big chunk of Eucalyptus from a friend returning from California. Hard as a rock and tight grained. Wants to crack if pushed too hard. Thinking this might be one of the Trades.

20081311111_IMG_0708-900C.jpg

Pacific Madrone Cigar and TiTanium Gold.

Harvested three years ago on a friends 43 acres of trees...:) If I can't correct the Blue Maple, then this is a candidate. A bit on the plain side.

200813111222_IMG_0710-900C.jpg

Green Acrylic and Black Chrome.

This puppy was half way assembled when I discovered that the lower barrel fittings were undersized by a few thousandths...:( So, I tried the "little dab will do ya" CA assist. As luck would have it, I got some bleed-out. Got the bleed-out on my fingers then on the barrel[:0] Tried to clean it off with some "remover" (Acetone) and proceeded to totally screw up the finish and the barrel. Not one to quit, I tried to steel wool the lower barrel... no joy. I tried chucking the assembled lower barrel onto the spindle and low and behold, it is a perfect fit!:D Joy is coming...! But counted my chicken too soon. As I was applying the final finishing step, I got a heat-induced ridge in the barrel:( So, back through the finishing routine one more time. By now the finish was wearing thin on the Black Chrome coupler... so off it came and a new design element emerged...[8D] Same thing on the nib coupler... Actually like the new touch![:p]

This one is half of the trade[:p] Still working through the wood one...[:eek:)]

200813112258_IMG_0730-900C.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhs494

They all turned out very nice. Your patience was rewarded.
Great job, and the small changes look very good.

louisbry

Nice pens Dave. I'm glad you posted about your first dye job. It is something I will remember when I try my first one. That is what I like about IAP, there is always a lesson to be found.

SuperDave

Thanks for the comments. Still getting back on the horse after a few years lay-off.

Always challenged by the work of others[:)] Hence the pick guard inlay on the acrylic, a first for me!

Mark knocked my socks off with the Churchill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom