Flame pen/stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

I was making a few flame blanks for my own inventory and it occurred to me that I should whip up a couple flame stands too. They are pretty cool, just scroll cut Alumilite stands. Please tell me which picture you like better.

Attachments

• flame1.jpg
    flame1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 504
  • flame2.jpg
    flame2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 439

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jeff the colours on those two pens are outstanding!!! :eek: I love them both!!! :biggrin:

oh....first pic for sure:wink:

EDIT; LOL, so busy checking out the pens I didn't see those fantastic stands. I'm trying to figure out how you did the stand fork around the mid point....

Last edited:

bitshird

Jeff, any one ever call you a smart @ss, if not, please allow me that opportunity at this time, :biggrin::biggrin:, I like the second pic best, the background on the first seems too severe for the colorful pens and stands, the second also seems to add dimension to them.

workinforwood

You cut the stand from the side view first Steve. Then you draw in the flames and cut those. You draw the arc in that little arm by tracing a Jr Statesman band. Then you simply grab a rotary tool and carve out the arc. Finally you place the pen in the stand to determine how far in or out the pen should be in the bottom and use the drill press/forestner bit to drill a base hole. Very simple. Oh, and you don't polish the bejesus out of the pen stand unless you are extremely motivated. It is alumilite, so if you simply sand it real good to 320 grit making sure there are not big scratches, then you can just spray the stand with polyurethane...1-2 coats is plenty. The poly will fill the 320 grit scratches and the stand will look almost like it was poured that way.

Phunky_2003

I like the first pic. The background is too busy in the 2nd pic. If you rotated the dragon pen slightly in the first pic it would be even better. Great work on these. Your work is inspirational.

James

mrcook4570

Fantastic work. I prefer the second pic. The tops of the pens look a little washed out in the first pic and the dragon is not centered as well as it is in the second pic. That said, the background in the second pic is a little busy.

Also, there is not much contrast with the black background and black pen.

bgibb42

I like the first pic better. The second just seems too busy. Nice pens, too, but I like the one on the right a little better.

workinforwood

Here's what it looks like before it was finished. This is one of the pictures for the article..of course there'll be a mag article or how would I pay for more toys?!:smile-big:

Attachments

• flamesample1.jpg
    flamesample1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 128
Both look good Jeff and I would have thought the black would be best but it has a little too much contrast on my monitor. Soooooo, I've got to vote for the second shot because it's a little easier on the eyes.
Love them stands.

CaptG

Awesome Jeff. If you did all that since I was there Tuesday, when do you find the time to work?? First picture gets my vote.

OKLAHOMAN

Jeff, they are both awesome pens and stands, as to the pictures have you thought of using a white background the flames then would contrast nicely IMNSHO.

Mr Vic

Simply awesome pens and stands. I prefer the first picture by far....the second background detracts way too much...A black or navy blue velvet would have looked great also and would prevent the reflections at the bottoms..

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I think the solid background kind of washes out the upper parts of the pens in the first picture. That, in my opinion, is why the lighter background helps in the second picture. And though the positioning of the pens is better in the second, the background is too busy. You would do better with a solid, lighter background.

In any case . . . those are way too coooooooool!

Attachments

• j0395729.gif
    j0395729.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 155

rjwolfe3

I can decide on which photo I like best but the pens are smoking.

I would love to get your name in a pen swap someday but I would not be produce a comparable pen. You are true master.

workinforwood

Wow..thanks everyone! I'm still trying to work out my photo's..takes time, and I get so busy that there isn't any fiddle around time. I had a white background and it didn't look good. I feel that the white backdrop makes the pen look 2 dimensional and the hardware blends into the white a little bit. I have to get some more backdrops. My black is too shiny, and using quilting pieces sucks because they are busy and have folding seams on them.

Gary...I have accomplished far more than this since Tuesday! Thanks for the crash metal course.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I'm assuming you are saying you want one Dawn? That's no problem..I have two and I don't mind giving one to you for all you do for me. Let me know when that next package come in so I know it made it safely.

LOL... Wow did dawn phrase that right!!! I'm pretty sure that she meant PICTURE 1 (ie the black)... Which is my choice too... I agree with some of the comments that the black is a little extreme, but better than the other one.

Those are Very cool! Let us know when the article is due out :)

PR_Princess

Ooops my bad Jeff!! Pic IS supposed to be PICTURE!! Too early in the morning I guess. LOL I never even thought of it being read the other way!!!!:redface::redface::redface:

Your box came in yesterday afternoon. Geez Eat your Wheaties is right!! :eek:
I know what I am going to be doing today!!:tongue::biggrin:

Bree

Totally toxic! Wow those are good! I prefer PIC #1. That's a great idea for the stands!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom