First TBC, first custom center band, etc.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from spaceengravers

Here's a pen I just finished. It was a lot of firsts for me. I got my dead center from JohnnyCNC...my last part for TBC. Since this was a slim kit and I didn't have the bushings to TBC I used my new adjustable mandle and turned one end at a time. I figured the shorter distance simulated TBC. I did finish (BLO/CA) between centers using the 60 degree live/dead centers. No problems with "out of round" blanks this time!!! I was really excited about that.

This was the first time I've made my own custom center band. My intent was to make this not look so much like a slim. I also added a custom clip on it just for fun.

Pen details:
Gold Slimline kit (bought from an IAP member)
Top and bottom barrels are Zebra wood
Centerband is Bocote

Please let me know if you have any suggestions and what you think!

Mike

Attachments

• Holy Zebra.jpg
    Holy Zebra.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 238
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Nice work, Mike!
I like the clip and the overall shape.

If I can make a suggestion, it might be neat to try this with a
centerband wood that would stand out more, maybe bloodwood, or ebony.

bgibb42

It looks well done! I agree with John, though, I think it needs a darker centerband. Maybe something about the same color as the grain lines in the zebrawood so it doesn't blend it so much.

Thanks guys and thanks for the recommendations about the center band. To tell you the truth, when I started it the Bocote looked much different than the Zebra wood. So I thought I'd have some good contrast but still have the same pattern. After I was done I saw they were really close in grain pattern and color but I didn't have the heart not to use it since it was my first one. What I might do is turn another pen and center band with darker colors and just switch the center bands on the two. Then I've got two custom center bands and didn't have to waste the one!

Thanks again for the help and comments.

Mike

Top Bottom