First real casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wyone

wyone

Well this was an ordeal.

First do NOT use plastic cups to mix resin as it melts through and if you are REALLY fast you can catch MOST of the resin.

Second, If you happen to try and save the resin, be prepared that you may have other things on your bench that will be added, for good or for bad.

Third, if you use blue and orange, don't expect the pen to end up blue and orange. I think I need to wait longer before pouring into the mold to let the resin get more set up.

Fourth, SAND rather than use a pen mill to square the blank. When you use the pen mill it breaks chunks off the end. So you trim the end slightly, figuring the center ring will make up the difference.

Fifth, use a pressure pot to cast as it will prevent the multitude of air bubbles in the casting. I hope at least. I do have a lead on a used Binks pot for $40 I hope to get Monday. Used CA to fill the bubbles, but made it more work.

Sixth, buy or make a pen press as my method of using the drill press, which has worked so far, when it slips causes the end to crack. A little CA fixed that, but back to the lathe to turn again.

Seventh, make sure you use the right length of tubes. Apparently I picked up the wrong ones, and when I went to assemble it left a large gap between sections. I was not planning on using a center ring, and my center rings were not the correct size for my turning. Back to the lathe again.

Eighth, TRIPLE check you have the right bushings between sections. Turned too far and now the ring I was going to use is too large.

Starting to get a bit frustrated, and decided to just turn the brass ring to the diameter I already turned the blank to.

Ninth, use a magnifying glass to make sure the CA I used to fill is all turned and smooth. I found a few spots after I was done assembling it.

Overall, they say you learn by your mistakes, so I learned a LOT today! :) Would I do it again? Absolutely, I love the challenge of fixing something I screwed up. Is it perfect, not by a long ways, but it is WAY better than it was when I discovered my 2nd or 3rd mistake.

Attachments

• Resin 1 edited.jpg
    Resin 1 edited.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Resin 2 edited.jpg
    Resin 2 edited.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Resin 3 edited.jpg
    Resin 3 edited.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Well, as you said, you learned a lot. So here are a few tips that will help.

You can use plastic cups. But you have to use a recycle code that's compatible. I think 1, 2, and 5 work for PR. I get mine at Sams. The recycle code is on the bottom of the cups inside of a triangle.

You can do a Blue & orange, but you have to make sure of the timing. I've found Red & yellow to be the most difficult. This is when dye is used. It's not as much of a problem when using MICA powders.

I agree about not using a pen mill. There are several better ways to trim & square a blank. I do mine on the lathe.

You can cast PR using a pressure pot, but it's not necessary. You can get bubbles with or without a pressure pot. It's just the bubbles are smaller using a pressure pot.

You can crack a pen on any pen press. Lot's of pens have been pressed together successfully using a drill press, clamp, or even their lathe.

wyone

I appreciate your suggestions. I think I should have walked away from things for a bit and come back to it and probably would have had better success. But once I encounter a problem my nature is to dive in full steam until I resolve it. But I am learning so much and enjoying even the problems. I am thinking maybe I need to try the mica powders. and different cups. :) Cracking the pen was a stupid mistake. I have done the same method many times, but I rushed due to my previous frustration and made things worse. I almost just threw the whole pen out, but then I decided, it was my chance to see how to fix the things I screwed up. And I am very glad I made that effort. Still love pen turning!

texta

sounds like it all went nice and smoothly , no hiccups . and kept you thinking .:)

johno

You know you ended up with a very nice looking pen. If you don't work your way through problems you won't grow as a pen maker. We have all had mishaps with a pen mill. I never use them there are much better ways to square a blank. I do it on my lathe with a jig that Rick Herrell designed for me. It works great and he sells them. I have not had any problems mixing resin in a plastic cup either. They will get hot but I don't work them very long either. Well bottom line is that pen looks like a real nice pen. Great job and you learned a lot.

Top Bottom