First Rattle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Russianwolf

Russianwolf

Special Thanks goes to Dawn (PR Princess) who sent me this blank to try.

Prairie Rattler on a Chrome Sedona

And it looks MUCH better than my poor photography skills show. I think this one needs a darker background.

Attachments

• WHB 1.jpg
    WHB 1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 170
  • WHB 2.jpg
    WHB 2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 132
  • WHB 3.jpg
    WHB 3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 106
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Good looking pen.

No slight against Dawn's work, but the blank has some problems. If you notice the gray between the scales? I'm not sure what causes it (I bet Don Ward does) but it's not a good look for the scales. I had the same problem with my second batch of skins, pretty much every batch after that so I gave up on it till I have more time to commit to finding the cause and a solution.

If you look at the Barron here that was recently posted, it's a great example of a great cast. While yours was turned well, the blank itself isnt quiiiiiiite there yet.

Jim Smith

Skye,

I'm probably not the best person to attempt an answer to your question about the grey between the scales since I am brand new to turning and I've never cast a pen in my life. That being said, I have played with snakes a bit in my time and I know that when they get frightened, they often puff up, exposing the connective tissue between their scales. The grey looks very much like that to me and would suggest that perhaps the skin was stretched just a bit too tight either during processing or for the casting, causing the connective tissue to be exposed. Just a thought...

Jim Smith
Conyers, Georgia

PR_Princess

Mike,
Yes, please bring it to DC. I would like to see it. I agree with Skye, that grey should not be there! Not a fault in your turning, but in the blank. Had I seen the that in the cast, I would not of sent it to you. I will see if I can figure out if the other blanks made from that same skin have grey in them also. That should help narrow down the cause.

Give that one to your wife to use :wink: and I'll replace it with two others for you to try!

Last edited:

Skye

^ Yeah, depending on how you cast it, it can be tough to see before it's turned. My first casts had tin foil stuck all over them. Then I sawed them apart, so there's no way you can tell. If you can get a casting mold that will let them just pop right out, you'll be able to catch it.

I don't know what causes it. Sometimes you'll get it on top of the scales. I know the scales have a kind of 'skin' over each, I've tried flaking it off, sometime it's just no use. Do you use CA to hold the skins on? I've wondered if it's the CA reacting to the resin. No idea.

I would get in touch with Don though, he's the master caster.

Top Bottom