first MOP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from markgum

markgum

here is my first attempt at a MOP pen and my 'new' photo box. So much to experiment with so little time. Someday I'll learn how NOT to sleep and turn wood 24x7.

Attachments

• MOP.jpg
    MOP.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 251
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Marc,

Like the pen, but you need Gerryr to tell you how to get the whites whiter (maybe a Crest whitening strip overnight???)

Keep workin on it - Unfortunately, we found out at the Chicago pen show, this idea is NOT new. Many manufactured pens with MOP - some just over $100.

FWIW

markgum

Thanks Ed. I think the problem may have been with the photo also. it don't really look that yellow in real life. but... whiter and brighter is always nicer. The LOML wanted one of these so made it for her.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Ed. I think the problem may have been with the photo also. it don't really look that yellow in real life. but... whiter and brighter is always nicer. The LOML wanted one of these so made it for her.

THAT means it was worth every minute of it!!!

bitshird

almost looks like gold lip MOP, but I'm betting it a white ballance issue,;), I have a lot of MOP but that looks like alot of work to me, but I'll bet it's pretty in the right light

ltomjones

The yellowing may also be the brass tube showing through. I have had this problem in the past. I solved it by sanding and spray painting the tube with white lacquor. let it dry, scuff it up some and glue it in. I have not incountered any problems with this process so far.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tom,

There's "mother of pearl" and then there's mother of pearl!!!

The pen shown is not an acrylic that some marketing guy thought would sell better with a fancy name, the one shown is Shell - real sea creature, cast in clear polyresin.

The only similarity is the EXACT SAME name -- which is HIGHLY misleading.

brycej

Tom,

There's "mother of pearl" and then there's mother of pearl!!!

The pen shown is not an acrylic that some marketing guy thought would sell better with a fancy name, the one shown is Shell - real sea creature, cast in clear polyresin.

The only similarity is the EXACT SAME name -- which is HIGHLY misleading.

The acrylic one is better know as "Mother of Toilet Seat" in guitar circles. Check out lap steels from the '50s.

markgum

a better pic
so here is a better pic of the pen. maybe I'm getting the photobox thing worked out.

Attachments

• MOP close up.jpg
    MOP close up.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 74
Top Bottom