A first and last for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from terry q

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry q

I have wanted to turn some Cigar pens for quite some time. When Arizona Silhouette had them on sale I bought 6. The pen on the left is Spalted curly White Oak and on the right is Plum. When I glued them up I wasn't smart enough to realize the tubes were different size. (Real men don't need directions.:D) You guessed it. The Oak has 2 long tubes and the Plum has 2 short tubes. The Oak works great, the Plum has the tip out or WAY OUT. The middle is Rattle snake from Arizona Silhouette. Thanks again for the tips when turning Acrylic. That is the first time and the last time I will turn Acrylic. What a huge PITA. My hat is off you those of you that turn a lot of it. You have a lot more patience than I do.

Terry

2006361239_Cigar%20pens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

LOL. Sounds like something I'd do. I have a tendency to mix them up so that the top tube is the bottom (and vice versa) If it's any consolation, they all came out great!

arjudy

I have done the same thing. If you take the pen with two short tubes apart and pull the plug out of the refill and cut about 1/4" off of the refill tube and replace the plug it will work just fine and you will have a very nice personal pen to use.

mrcook4570

That spalted oak looks really nice. On the plum pen, just take the refill to the disc (or belt) sander and sand off part or the black plastic part. I have one in cocobolo with that same design feature that rides in my pocket every day [:D]

airrat

Looking good Terry. Don't stop on the acrylic, I was feeling the same after my first one. Then I read a few little trickes to make it easier. Maybe someone that has turned alot of acrylic can type up some hits and others can add to it.

ldimick

Terry, They look great. Don't quit on the arycylic yet. I blew out at least 4 before I quit being stubborn. I shaved mine to an octagonal shape and, as much as I hate to admit it, I used 80 grit sandpaper to round them over. Never did put a tool on them. Turned out beautiful - until I dropped it.

Ryan

Terry,

I like the black plating with the snake skin, and the spalted white oak blank is fantastic!

Ryan

BigRob777

Wow, that's some incredible spalted oak (not it wasn't from me). You did a great job with the snattle rake (as Billy calls it). I like all of them. Can you put a spacer in the nib half, at the CB? Maybe some black fibre washer, or something, to extend the pen. I don't know. The cigar pens seem rather unforgiving, when compared with the SL.
Nice work on all of the turning and finishing though. I think everyone makes a mistake on cigars at some point. I know I did.
Rob

terry q

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and kind words. Rob the Oak came from low48 last year. I happen to know Rich and sometimes accompany him when he goes to the log dump. We have found some pretty impressive wood there.
Terry

KC

Like most others, I think the oak is beautiful. Also like some others, I have one in my pocket with a 'modified' refill.

GBusardo

Hey Terry, Awesome pens! I love the Oak, never seen one like that. Despite what your said about the snakeskin, it looks awesome! I WILL someday, go and try and make a snakeskin pen or two.
Gary

csb333

They still look great. That spalted curly white oak is one beautiful piece of wood! The two long tubes look fine. No one will ever know- Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom