First Kitless with 1st Cast.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BSea

BSea

Well, this was a big learning experience. But really fun. 1st let me say that I've been casting for a few months now, but I saved 2 blanks from my 1st cast to use on my 1st kitless pen. I actually like the blanks even though they are pretty vanilla, and didn't turn out like I originally planned. Seems like many of my cast are like that though:rolleyes:.

I bought the triple start 12 mm tap & die from the last group buy for these. And even though I had only used a tap & die a few times, These gave me no trouble at all. However, the same wasn't true for cutting the male threads for the nib holder. I bought a cheap harbor freight tap & die set. I'm not knocking the set. I'm sure it's fine for many things. But the closest size to what I needed was 10mm X 1.25. These threads are way to course to use with PR. I tried at least a dozen times, but they always broke. I came close once, but just that one time. I would have started over, but I had only 2 blanks from the 1st cast, and I had already threaded the body for the holder, so I was kind of stuck. I have since ordered some black lucite to make the holder. But in the meantime, I made a temporary one using clear acrylic rod. It threads fine, but has a very low melting point, and was kinda a pain to turn & drill. I reverse painted it black, and it looks ok (worse in the pictures), but not something that's going to be permanent with this pen.

I also ordered the correct taps & dies, so I hopefully won't have this big of a problem in the future. So much for the story. Here are some pics.

Kitless1A.jpg

This uses a roller writer nib. I think this will be my desk pen for awhile to see if I like it or not.

Kitless1B.jpg

Kitless1c.jpg

Notice the clear acrylic nib holder and the course threads.

Kitless1d.jpg

I added this picture to give the pen some scale. It's basically the same size as a Jr. Gent II (Or in this case a Retro).

And some worthless facts:

Weight of the Kitless: 21 grams
Weight of the Retro: 47 grams

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

I don't think that blank is vannilla at all. I think its pretty sweet. I'm no expert on kitless finer points, but I really like overall look of this pen.

hewunch

As a first kitless goes, it is really good. I have the same HF set and have found the 3/8 x 24 tap and die to be a decent choice for sections and finials.

If I may offer some helpful thoughts.
1. The lower barrel seems a bit fat. The step down from the barrel to the threads is steep. So if you like that size barrel, maybe go with the 14mm 3x tap instead?

2. The transition from the grip to the roller writer isn't pleasing to my eye. Now that is not to say it isn't comfortable, for it may well be. I like the overall shape of the grip, just not where it meets the roller writer.

3. I can't really tell if the finials match. But if not, you may want to think about that from a stylistic approach.

I say all that not as an expert, for I am far from one. Just some hopefully helpful thoughts.

BSea

NOT TOO SHABBY MY FRIEND!! that looks better than my first would look,if i can ever get around to trying them
Hey, no time like the present. Beside, I'm still looking for a Glacier Park quarter.:)

I don't think that blank is vannilla at all. I think its pretty sweet. I'm no expert on kitless finer points, but I really like overall look of this pen.
By vanilla, I meant that it's basically 1 color. It actually has some clear, and I intended to use some silver with it too, but the silver set up before I could pour it.

As a first kitless goes, it is really good. I have the same HF set and have found the 3/8 x 24 tap and die to be a decent choice for sections and finials.

If I may offer some helpful thoughts.
1. The lower barrel seems a bit fat. The step down from the barrel to the threads is steep. So if you like that size barrel, maybe go with the 14mm 3x tap instead?

2. The transition from the grip to the roller writer isn't pleasing to my eye. Now that is not to say it isn't comfortable, for it may well be. I like the overall shape of the grip, just not where it meets the roller writer.

3. I can't really tell if the finials match. But if not, you may want to think about that from a stylistic approach.

I say all that not as an expert, for I am far from one. Just some hopefully helpful thoughts.
I only have the basic metric set from HF. I probably should have waited and ordered the right taps & dies, but I was a little impatient.

I went back & forth on the lower barrel. and decided on this style for a start. I was a little hesitant to trim the cap any thinner, but that's probably just me being too concerned about the thickness. And I wanted them to match in thickness where they meet. I also drilled out the entire lower barrel with the same bit I used for the nib holder. In hindsight, I should have just drilled out the 1st 1/2 inch for the holder, and used a smaller bit for the rest. Since I like to use a taper in my pen bodies, I was a little concerned as to the thickness down there.

On the transition, I agree 100%. I should have tapered it down. It's kinda shaped for a fountain pen nib, and that's not what I used. I'll do something different with the lucite when it arrives.

The finials do match. But I'm not too sure about the look there either. But for my 1st one, I wanted it to look a little different.

drgoretex

Seriously?! :eek: First kitless and you successfully threaded Poly Resin??

That is a pretty amazing acheivement, and a beautiful pen to boot! Well done, for sure!

Ken

Rick P

The "rgiht tap and dies" have been metioned repeatedly......how about givin a brother a link?

Love the blank! My crituqes would be the same as Hewunch's. Great first kitless!

BSea

The "rgiht tap and dies" have been metioned repeatedly......how about givin a brother a link?

Love the blank! My crituqes would be the same as Hewunch's. Great first kitless!
Here's where I got the sizes. Look at post #5.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83035&highlight=fp+thread+size

I bought:
10mm X .75 for large nib holders. Both T & D
9mm X .75 for small nib holders. Both T & D
8mm X .75 for Cigar Nib & finial. Both T & D
8mm X .5 for cigar tranny. Only the die. There is no need for the tap since those threads are already in the tranny. And Victor Machinery was out of that tap when I ordered anyway.

Here's the link for Victor Machinery.

That should get you started. The only other set you will need is something to connect the cap to the body. I had already ordered the 12mm triple start set in the last group buy.

Last edited:

hewunch

Not to hijack Bob's thread, but just to add, I use the 3/8" x 24 T & D for grips and finials. Which is just a little bigger than 9mm

Brooks803

looks great Bob! hell of a first try. You seem to already have your next one in mind and how to improve it so there's not much to add....but just in case, you've got my # :wink:

hell I'll probably be calling you about these things if I don't get my butt back in the shop! I'm digging the blank btw :biggrin:

Top Bottom